Menu
jace1969
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Vivid upto 200 is up and down,wired fine.

Hi,why is the past few weeks the WiFi connection is all over the place,some times/days its over 150 and wired is close to 200 or even a bit over but WiFi can be bad.

Around 20 to 40 from around 9 in the morning and then up and down all day then it will go to around the 150 area,this as been going on a few weeks and it seems the area as my friend as the same problem,i run off 5MHz on laptop/ipad and phone and all the same,router is set for both and on channel 36+40 (5MHz) and 11 (2.4) and  set for upto 600 on the 5MHz and 300 on 2.4MHz.

This setting have always been on this for over a year,its a bit frustrating being having a upto 200 vivid.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid upto 200 is up and down,wired fine.

Hi jace1969,

Apologies for the wifi problems you're experiencing, I appreciate how frustrating this can be, especially since the wired speeds are so consistent.

Wifi is delivered by your hub alone, so there aren't any area factors in terms of the network that will affect it. However, it's possible that there is interference locally on the channel you've set your hub to. The fact it's varying by time suggests something could be powered on or in use that's affecting it during those times.

For reassurance I've tested your hub and local network segment and everything looks great at the moment. I'd recommend taking a look at our Getting the best Wireless Network Signal article for tips on improving wifi performance. It may be that a different channel will offer a better experience, I'd also recommend looking at using a wifi analyser of some sort to test for other networks using the same frequencies.

Let us know how you get on with that, I hope it helps.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
jace1969
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,thanks for the reply and i will try that and see what goes on,i did forget to add its not only on wifi but on the wired as well but not as bad.

Say a wired could drop to around 80 or a bit more,i have spoke to a lot of people around our area with the same problem and some have even had people out and say its the Wolverhampton main server and is going to be done but keeps being put back,like april now but its a big thing in the DY6 area.

i will try the above and thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey jace1969,

Thanks for getting back to me and for the additional info Smiley Happy sorry to hear wired is also being affected.

Looking at the hub and network I'm satisfied that there aren't serious issues affecting speeds. There is a bit of a spike during peak times, but it should only have a minimal effect.

If wired speeds are dropping it's definitely worth adding a test in modem mode to your to-do list, just for comparison purposes.

Give us a shout when you've checked everything, I hope some of those suggestions help get things back to how they should be.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
jace1969
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,i have tried the channel change and still the same or close to the same,why i brought up the problem with the Wolverhampton server is going back a few weeks on face book there is a Group and its my area''kingswinford'' and there a lot on there with the same problem and not even half the speed,they are around 30 to 50mbps on vivid 200 so when i checked mine i had the same,a lot ( around 5 )had a engineer come round and checked it out and on every account the Wolverhampton server was said and because the DY6 area aint a big area like some it keep getting put back to be fixed,some have even rang and got 40% off there bill as its been going on for a few months.

I do hope you can shine a bit of light on this server problem as there are a nice few replies on this subject and all say the same.

Sorry for this being long but i thanks you a lot for the replies.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello jace1969

Sorry we were a bit slow getting back, apologies you are correct there does seem to be some peak time traffic issues affecting your connection, the reference is F005031378, we would like to like to carry out some upgrade work. I will send you a forum private message to discuss further.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
jace1969
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,thanks for the reply but i will contact virgin on the phone if that is a better way,will they send a engineer round as they don't seem to be able to do anything  if they do come round so what would be the next best step.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Oh dear you are braving the phone staff.

Good luck and God speed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
jace1969
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why is there some sort of problem these days ringing up as i have not rang them for a while.

Also is this forum connected direct as if i ring and give them the number will they know it.

Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Kudos
jace1969
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Problems again with it,just checked it at this time 7.30 and not even touching 100 and have vivid 200,this is massive problem

now with loads of people and a lot in the dy6 area working off Wolverhampton server (i have been told and heard of).

Also a nice few times now it drops the connection and you see the green up and down arrow come on the box to connect then

it turns blue again (its the AC box i have) but its becoming a pain at times when you are doing stuff and then gone.

0 Kudos