Menu
velectro
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Vivid 200 slow

We have cable - vivid 200. Over the last few months it's got slower. We now get 40-50mbps And rarely 60.  I hope I've posted the right info you all need to help, thank you

0 Kudos
velectro
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 slow

Adding  photo without IP address this time!

image.jpeg

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey there velctro,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the connection problems you're having. Slow speeds can be irritating.

Are you using a wireless or a hard-wired connection? What type of results are you getting from speed tests? If you've not tested yet please go to speedtest.net and perform a test, ideally with an Ethernet cable connected, if you don't have one let me know.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

velectro
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I don't have a laptop or pc I can connect with an Ethernet cable. However, we did use to get much faster speeds via wiresless. I am Thinking that the decline coincided with the 200mbps upgrade?

I've attaches speed tests history , ignore the 13mbps one it was a 4g signal

image.pngimage.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey velectro,

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley Happy

I appreciate that you've posted your speed test results. I can't see any reason for the speed decrease from our end. Are you able to try and change the operating wireless channel? Often this will improve wireless performance. Please take a look at the help article - Changing the Virgin Media router's wireless channel / frequency for instructions on how to log into your Hub and make the changes.

Let me know if this helps,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
velectro
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there. We have tried various channels over The last couple of days and it has made no difference. Can I ask that you look into this further. Looking back over speed test score we always had 100mbps+ until about a year ago. Something is not right here. Can you contact me? Send someone out? Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You really need to test the connection connected directly to the hub with a device equipped with a gigabit network adapter to get the true speed of your internet connection. Wireless is affected by many factors outside VM's or any ISP's control. Factors like Client Hardware, Range, Interference and the topography of your home.

So, you may well be getting the full 200Mbps to the hub, you will not know until you test it wired. VM will not send an engineer out for wireless problems, as if you are gettiing headline speeds to the hub, they have done their job, your local network is your responsibility. Maybe you could borrow a friend's laptop to test?

The best you can do is optimise your wireless network.

Which hub do you have?

What wireless settings are you using?

Are you using the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz network?

What devices are you connecting to the internet with?

Rather that change channels blindly, downloading a wireless scanner like WiFi Analyser for Android would help by showing you the competing wireless networks around you or if your wireless environment is completely saturated. Bear in mind the scanner will not pick up interference from domestic appliances like A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs. Security Systems etc.

0 Kudos
velectro
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there

Thanks for your advice, I borrowed a laptop and have just ran the test
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5808709144

It seems to be within acceptable limits. Therefore must be a wireless issue. Nothing in our home has changed. We have not added or taken anything away that could have affected signal that I am aware of.

Running a super hub 2 using iPad and iPhone on 2.4ghz. I've tried 3 different channels and it is no better. I haven't got an android device to use wifi analyser but I'll see if I can find an iPhone equivalent

I really don't know what else to do. Wireless speeds have been slow for a long time and they never used to be
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There is a link here to enable the iPad's wifi scanner.

Apple do not allow the use of the 40Mhz wide channel on the 2.4Ghz band, so single stream devices would be only able to reach about 40 -50 Mbps.

Some speed tests for the older iPads here.

The newer iPad Airs are capable of faster wireless speeds, the speed of the devices will depend on the model. You will probably get better speeds using the 5Ghz band. Similarily the iPhone 6s (Multistream MIMO) is faster than the iphone 6 (Single stream)

It is a pity you did not test the wired speeds again a bit later in the evening to check for utilisation issues. However, I suspect a VM Forum Team member will check your local circuit traffic when they revisit the thread.

0 Kudos
velectro
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, I will look into the info you have given me. With the 5ghz option it seems to give a very wide range of channel options when you log into router - does this mean anything or matter? Or is it more about finding one locally that isn't used
0 Kudos