Menu
ngarraud
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Vivid 200 Gamer very slow

I just upgrade to Vivid 200 Gamer ( from Vivid 100). and now the speed is very slow.

- 15Mb in the evening

- max 30Mb rest of the day

- Sometimes up to 100Mb, but very unusual

- Upload is ok: 20mb

I tried to contact support, but they don't want to help, as I only have wifi devices. They want me to get an old PC with ethernet port. I am afraid I don't have, I don't know anybody with PC anyway, everybody is on Mac. And I am not going to buy an old PC just to have access to the Virgin support.

I am sure it has nothing to do with wire/wireless, as before Saturday, my speedtest was showing 100mb on my iPhone 7. Since upgrade to Vivid 200 Games, same speed test shows 15Mb.

Any body with same issu? or what we can do?

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 Gamer very slow

If you have a mac doesn't that have an Ethernet port.

without ethernet you can only prove that you suffer evening contention, but not that you're not able to get the 200Mbps you're paying for.

that said could you go to 192.168.0.1. click on 'check router status' and post the stats you find there on here.

Note it will take 1-2 weeks before an actual member of Virgin staff will get around to this message, but it might help to know what your levels are like before then.

0 Kudos
ngarraud
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

No I am afraid, all the new mac laptops don't have ethernet port. I think they stop at least 5 years ago. 

I thought the idea of Vivid 200 gamer was to avoid fair use policy.

so 4k movies in the evening will never be available? (unless we use the Virgin 4k box)

I will post the stats tonight. Kind Regards

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You're problem is not connected to fare use policy, but simply too many people sharing the available bandwidth at your location. Virgin is very slowly improving the areas with the worst contention. When a member of staff gets around to looking at your message, they will be able to tell you if your area has been flagged and when its next review date is etc.

That aside, as far as I can tell Virgin's fare use policy only effects upstream speeds anyway.

I would suggest though getting a cheap usb gigabit ethernet adaptor for your mac or you'll never know if the reason you're not getting the most out of your connection is down to wifi issue or actual internet issues.

It is also possible that you don't have evening contention issues, just a neighbour who only switches their wifi on during the evening...

0 Kudos
ngarraud
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I understand what you are saying.

But today, Wednesday, at 10:30 am, I have only 36Mb. So I don't thing it has something to do with too many people at the same time.

Also, how to explain when I had Vivid 100, my speediest was 100mb, and when I upgrade to Vivid 200 Gamer, the same speed test is now 30Mb.

For me it cannot be just an issue of too any people at the same time

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The problem is you can't prove that without a wired connection ?

Ok the evidence i.e. you had a 100 before and now you don't does imply that your connection has got worse, however it could be argued that some other factor could have changed, and speed tests via wifi are effected by too many aspects to be considered reliable.

BTW did your upgrade also result in a change of superhub ?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi ngarraud, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your speeds. 

I have taken a look and it seems that you are affected by fault ref F004279988 for slow speeds at peak times. The current review date is 10/05/2017. 

I will pop you a PM to discuss this further. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos