Menu
grumpydaddy
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Vivid 200 Gamer connections

According to the blurb: It does all the stuff VIVID up to 200Mbps is famous for – but with upload speeds up to 20Mbps. You could play, stream gameplay and chat to your teammates, all at the same time. Plus, you won’t run into traffic management.

Traffic management no, but as this is currently running SH3 in modem mode and I am capping at ~30/3 vs my old 152/12 running pretty much at those speeds at night. I can think of only one thing that could be causing this so....

How can I find the max. number of concurrent TCP connections my Vivid 200 Gamer service will allow??

If this is something that can be adjusted would somebody from VM kindly turn off the cap or bump it up to say 150K.

I only really wanted a more symmetrical service but I feel I must revert to 152/12 again if not

My use is irregular I know but nobody said anything about this new service being less capable than the old. 

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 Gamer connections

Hi @grumpydaddy

Thanks for your question.

There's no difference in the number of TCP connections - the benefits of the Gamer service are the increased upload speed and the removal of upstream traffic management  to making gaming even more fluid.

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
grumpydaddy
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

OK That is what I hoped.

My problem is that I know some but not enough to fault find an issue I have encountered.

In Feb 2016 I ran a test on the 152/12 connection using superhub1 in modem mode. The test involves requesting web pages and downloading them in sufficient quantities to "fill the pipe" so to speak for the 5 minute duration at night. I have that screenshot showing speeds of 153.9/11.74. Such a test requires some 3600 concurrent connections whereupon my pfsense router has a state table size approaching 100K.

My interest in distributed computing is what drives my use in this way from time to time

Fast forward then to the arrival of 200 Gamer and Hub 3 (again in modem mode)

Following a straightforward substitution of the Hub I got the service changed over only to find I could get to about 750 connections and the throughput will not go higher than maybe 30/3 unless I run speedtest. (that seems to be prioritised)

Pageloads exceed a minute. It is as if the Hub 3 is using its memory and has run out of such.

Given that you say the service has no connection limit, can you suggest a course of action to determine what it is that the Hub 3 is doing to make this so restrictive?

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Could it be related to the bug with the Intel chip in the Hub 3? http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/12/intel-working-fix-virgin-media-superhub-3-router-latenc...

0 Kudos
grumpydaddy
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I would not have thought the Hub 3 cpu had to do any processing when acting as a modem.

Incidentally, I tried 200 on an AC2 Hub around June last year and had the same issue.
0 Kudos