Menu
Reply
  • 11
  • 0
  • 0
duke0003
Tuning in
417 Views
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Vivid 200 Gamer being extremely throttled with downloads - newbie help needed

I've had Superfast fibre optic (Vivid 200 Gamer) installed in the last week. The speed seems to be pretty decent apart from whenever I try to torrent. I did my research and spoke to a salesperson at Virgin before signing up who assured me there was no throttling on the most expensive package (Gamer), which is why I went for it.

Here's a speedtest in progress while not torrenting:

6004908525

And here's one with a torrent client (Transmission) open: 

6004912707

Why is this happening? Is it throttling? I've read about turning the hub into a modem only and using my own router instead. Could anyone point me in the right direction to get some decent speeds while torrenting? I'm willing to learn stuff and set up my connection in the best possible way, but I'm mid-range in my abilities. 

I feel like I've signed up for a big expense per month on the basis of it not being throttled at all and I've been mislead.

Note: The ISP in the speedtest is because I use Private Internet Access as a VPN (which isn't slowing anything down). 

EDIT: I have to go to work shortly but I will log into my router later and post some speed logs. 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 207
  • 4
  • 90
greyman
Superfast
455 Views
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 Gamer being extremely throttled with downloads - newbie help needed

You are probably not being throttled, instead what you are experiencing is probably being caused by over-utilisation of your area's infrastructure.  As that infrastructure has a finite capacity to transfer data and as that capacity is effectively "shared"/fought for by each subscriber, your poor performance is most likely being caused by there being too many subscribers and/or not enough capacity.

However, it might still be worth checking whether you have any technical problems and, odd as it might sound, for your sake, I hope that is the case, as those can usually be solved more quickly

Good luck

  • 125
  • 0
  • 23
redridinghood
Up to speed
396 Views
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 Gamer being extremely throttled with downloads - newbie help needed

correct me if i am wrong.but it is only the upload that virgin say that you wont be throttled on the gamer 200..what is your current upload speed

  • 548
  • 3
  • 31
arronlowley
Up to speed
424 Views
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 Gamer being extremely throttled with downloads - newbie help needed

There is 0 throttling on gamer 200 and 300/20, none at all. When your speed drops in the evening on weekdays and earlier on weekends, it means that the capacity is being used more than it should. I'm paying for 300/20 and after 5pm, my speed drops by up to 200Mbps. 80% utilisation but vm say that "its not going over the threshold", and that's why I've given my notice and gone to another isp.

 

Trust me vm do not care and the offshore team will give you every single excuse in the book, one bloke told me its area upgrades, then several other agents told me he was lying to me. So virgin even admit to their own customer service lying to customers! disgusting.

Ss ive said in a prev post, when other isps can get the same speed as virgin, they're done for, because speed is the only thing virgin can offer and that's only when it works. Latency is poor, the hub 3 is poor and their customer service are the biggest jokes I've ever had to listen to.

I've had BT engineers and a virgin media engineer tell me they don't even know as much as I do, and they've been doing it for years, so what does that tell you about isps?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6c7f9a9f20c4b3cac9edc401f62167c3.html
  • 453
  • 9
  • 90
Bestie
Fibre optic
366 Views
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 Gamer being extremely throttled with downloads - newbie help needed

When using Private Internet Access try using a UK server not NL & try TCP Port 443. 

 

  • 11
  • 0
  • 0
duke0003
Tuning in
346 Views
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 Gamer being extremely throttled with downloads - newbie help needed


redridinghood wrote:

correct me if i am wrong.but it is only the upload that virgin say that you wont be throttled on the gamer 200..what is your current upload speed



Without transmission / torrents my upload speed is around 12mbs. With transmission / torrents going it's around 5mbs. 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 11
  • 0
  • 0
duke0003
Tuning in
345 Views
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 Gamer being extremely throttled with downloads - newbie help needed


greyman wrote:

You are probably not being throttled, instead what you are experiencing is probably being caused by over-utilisation of your area's infrastructure.  As that infrastructure has a finite capacity to transfer data and as that capacity is effectively "shared"/fought for by each subscriber, your poor performance is most likely being caused by there being too many subscribers and/or not enough capacity.

However, it might still be worth checking whether you have any technical problems and, odd as it might sound, for your sake, I hope that is the case, as those can usually be solved more quickly

Good luck



Is there anything I can do about the over-utilisation of the infrastructure in my area? 

I have noticed that the speed is fine UNTIL I laugh transmission (a torrent client). Then the speed immediately drops to nothing. Immediately after I turn it off its back up to around 200mbs. 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 11
  • 0
  • 0
duke0003
Tuning in
344 Views
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 Gamer being extremely throttled with downloads - newbie help needed


arronlowley wrote:

There is 0 throttling on gamer 200 and 300/20, none at all. When your speed drops in the evening on weekdays and earlier on weekends, it means that the capacity is being used more than it should. I'm paying for 300/20 and after 5pm, my speed drops by up to 200Mbps. 80% utilisation but vm say that "its not going over the threshold", and that's why I've given my notice and gone to another isp.

 

Trust me vm do not care and the offshore team will give you every single excuse in the book, one bloke told me its area upgrades, then several other agents told me he was lying to me. So virgin even admit to their own customer service lying to customers! disgusting.

Ss ive said in a prev post, when other isps can get the same speed as virgin, they're done for, because speed is the only thing virgin can offer and that's only when it works. Latency is poor, the hub 3 is poor and their customer service are the biggest jokes I've ever had to listen to.

I've had BT engineers and a virgin media engineer tell me they don't even know as much as I do, and they've been doing it for years, so what does that tell you about isps?



Thank you for confirming that there should be no throttling at all on Vivid 200 Gamer. I thought I was going crazy. I am definitely being throttled at present. I would be fine with some drop off on evenings and weekends, but my current speed when a torrent client is open is around 1.5mbs / 2mbs. It's terrible. Is this something I should call virgin about and are they going to be problematic if I mention it's torrents? 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 11
  • 0
  • 0
duke0003
Tuning in
343 Views
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 Gamer being extremely throttled with downloads - newbie help needed


Bestie wrote:

When using Private Internet Access try using a UK server not NL & try TCP Port 443. 

 



Thanks for this. The only reason I use NL while connected to the VPN is that is allows port forwarding. The UK connection doesn't. I'm not sure if this is a problem that can be worked around?

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 5.63K
  • 287
  • 1.24K
Superuser
Superuser
334 Views
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 Gamer being extremely throttled with downloads - newbie help needed

I think the obvious has been missed here.



While you are torrenting, bandwidth is being used by the torrents, so of course a speedtest site is not going to give full speed as it can only do that when no bandwidth is being used by you. The 50Mbs you got on the speedtest while torrenting is what is left after the torrent bandwidth is taken out.

You say you get full speed on the speedtest when you are not torrenting, that shows no problem.



This is why you are told to test speeds with no programs running etc



As others have said there is no controlled throttling by VM on the downstream or upstream on the gamer package. P2P traffic is still traffic managed however regardless of package, BUT this would not show on a speedtest.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question