Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6 (134 Views)

Vivid 200 Gamer - Awfull speeds peak times

Hi I was wondering if anyone else is seeing huge speed drops with the 200 gamer package, I was lead to believe I would receive better service from the gamer package with traffic management removed.

Ive set up network monitoring of this and whilst I do see a drop usually at night by maybe 20 or so meg, as you can see over the past week its not unusual for the speeds to drop to a third of the speed im paying for, ive read on the forum around congestion etc, im just wondering what my options are here for either resolving the issue or paying for that 3rd of a service I get.

I live in a brand new estate, and its a new VM area with a new cab, and im just a little concerned having these issues when we only have around 30 houses built.... with around another 120 due to be built, so lets hope its not congestion or the planners have more capacity on the way.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6 (105 Views)

Re: Vivid 200 Gamer - Awfull speeds peak times

Hi there scottishlad79,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

I'm sorry to read you are experiencing slow broadband speeds during peak hours.

I've taken a look at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running low, which is good.

Are you able to post an up-to date graph or a Broadband Quality Monitor please to see if there has been an improvement?

If you complete speed tests whilst the Hub is in modem mode, do the speeds differ?

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 6 (85 Views)

Hi Sam thanks for the reply,

Below is the BQM graph

BQM.JPG

And the latest speed test graph, as you will see the situation is getting worse day by day, Ive just run a check with nothing else connected to the hub, and my computer on a wired connection and its testing 23.5meg up and 18.4 down at 23.47 tonight pretty awfull im sure you will agree for a 200 meg gamer connection. Its not like the line is not capable of performing at full speed as early  this afternoon it was flying at 200+ meg which looks like when you checked and traffic was low.

I don't have another router to connect to use modem mode but if you need to buy one to prove a service issue just let me know, I would rather have

speedgraph.JPG

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6 (62 Views)

Hello scottishlad79

Thanks for getting back, it is a bit of a puzzle as from here it all looks good. Area traffic is low, streams are error and noise free, hub/line look good. I notice that you are in modem only mode with possibly your own router, perhaps it is worth trying some tests on a couple of devices directly in the hub. Please make sure you use www.speedtest.net leaving the default server as that normally remains on our network.

Thank you 

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 6 (50 Views)

Hi Nicola,

I have connected my own router as suggested by Samantha earlier in this post.

The speeds test graphs I posted were from a hard wired connection and using Speedtest.net`s virgin media Glasgow server as the test server, as ive said before right now im testing at 217 meg, however later in afternoon its now around 20 meg download, I will see if the new router changes anything, however its pretty poor if a customer is having to pay 200 pounds for a router to get the speeds they are sold, surely this is an issue that needs sorted with the kit being supplied, or should reflect in the product pricing.

I was watching Netflix yesterday and had to give up due to the stream stopping obviously to buffer. This was on a hard wired connection and should not be happening on a 200 meg connection without traffic management. Wee bit concerned if this is congestion on core network etc that the announcement of 200 meg connections being upgraded for the same price to 200 this may become a bigger issue.

Ill continue to monitor over the next few days however if this continues I believe I have enough data to prove Im not getting the service am paying for and therefore there is a breach of contract and move to an alternative provider.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6 (23 Views)

Hello scottishlad79,

Thanks for getting back in touch Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear your connection problems are still on-going. It's really odd that we can't seem to locate a fault. Are you having these problems on multiple devices? Have you tried factory resetting your Hub?

Speak with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos