Menu
Snill63
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Vivid 152

Hi everyone,

First timer so please be gentle!

I've got virgin broadband vivid 152 which I think is supposed to give up to 200Mbps.  I regularly do a wifi speed check using an app (at various times and in various rooms, including next to the hub) and I the best I have registered is 47.27. Until the weekend just gone the average speed was 30 to 35, but since Saturday it has been struggling to get above 20. Last Monday at 10 am I got 38.9, this Monday at 6.48 it was 18.3.

As an aside Tivo and b/b went down on Thursday. Long story short It turned out to be due to an engineer unscrewing our wire in the roadside cabinet. After the wire was screwed back in that the internet connection was intermittent and I had a few baffling conversations with India. Connection seems ok now but the already slowish speeds have dived further. 

Is my experience typical and is it a fair assertion to say that I'm paying for something I'm not getting?

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 152

Wireless speeds are heavily affeted by many factors like client hardware. Range, Interference and the Topography of your home.

I would test the actual internet connection speed by testing with a device equipped with a gigabit ethernet adapter connected directly to the hub by a Cat5e or better ethernet cable. The 152Mbps package gives 152Mbps top speed as the name suggests. You may get a few Mbps more as the packages are over provisioned.

What wireless clients are you using? Many wireless adapters are only capable of a single wireless stream which will only give a max speed of around 40Mbps using a single wireless channel.

0 Kudos
Snill63
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Griffin,

Thanks very much for coming back to me I think I understood most of it! I realise that walls electricals etc can affect signal and speeds so I always make a point of checking speeds right next to the modem/router. We can see the roadside VM cabinet from our bedroom window, it's about 30 yards away. 

Normally we only connect with android phones, an android tablet and a kindle fire (are they single channel wireless clients?), occasionally lap tops. Are you suggesting that I hard wire the modem to my laptop ( a 2 year old lenovo) with an ethernet cable and then run a speed test?

One other question, if we can only ever expect to get 40 mbps using our regular devices, would it pay us to come down a tariff or two or would the speed we get reduce in proportion?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, plugging the laptop into the hub directly and testing the speed would be a good start. This would give you the true speed of the internet connection, by eliminating all the variables wireless invokes. If you are noy getting full speed whilst connected wired to the hub, the likelyhood is that there is a problem with your local circuit causing your speed problems. The distance your local street cabinet is away usually does not affect speeds.

WiFi devices have a huge range of wireless adapters, even the same make of client. For examole the Kindle Fire (2015), Fire HD6 have single stream 2.4Ghz only wireless adapters, the Fire HD8, a single stream dual band adapter, Fire HD 10 a single stream AC adapter and the Fire HDX a Multi stream MIMO AC adapter.

So you can see, it is impossible to know the capabilities of a wireless adapter without knopwing the make/model number of the wireless adapter.

Generally using the wider less congested 5Ghz band will give you faster speeds at close range as you can use two wireless channels (not to be confused with wireless streams) with less risk of interference boosting speeds to around 75Mbps per wireless stream.

The broadband speed is a shared resource with all devices using the network taking a share of the speed. So if you have two devices downloading the same time each will get roughly 50Mbps each on a 100Mbps package. So bearing this in mind, usage will play a major factor on what package you need, the more usage, the higher the package required.

0 Kudos
Snill63
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Using a wired connection, I'm getting a huge 167mbps but wireless still bumps around the 20 mark but as I say until the weekend it was 30-40.

On Saturday the lady in India did say she'd done something to the channel (I think) when i reported intermittent connectivity. Might that have affected it? Also my super hub is a VMDG480, is that a bit of an old version to handle these sorts of speeds properly?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Snill63 wrote:

.... Also my super hub is a VMDG480, is that a bit of an old version to handle these sorts of speeds properly?

VMDG480 SH1 is 1st generation Docsis3 Hub circa 2010 replaced by SH2 VMDG485 in 2013,  SH2AC VMDG490 in 2014 and current Hub3(aka SH3) VMDG505 in 4Q2015.

As you've discovered the SH1 is underpowered and thus not concurrent dual broadband so even 5GHz band  with N mode will struggle with it's antenna array to obtain any reasonable fraction of wired headline rate. Initially most users placed it in ModemMode and used their own concurrent dual band WiFi router which invariably outperformed the SH1 in Router Mode.

Since 152/12 Tier is no longer sold since 25Nov2015 you should be entitled to free upgrade to V200 which should come with minimum (free) SH2AC if not the Hub 3.   Might be worth a call to Retentions aka "Thinking-of-leaving-us"(but hopefully you're not) to see why they can't give you Free Speed Boost and dispatch a replacement Quickstart Hub? (which is what Level1 India should have done anyway!)    

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos