Menu
stevecook172001
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media throttling of Linux, VPNs and torrent clients

I signed up with Virgin Media approximately 3 weeks ago on the 100mbps optic fibre package. I  use Linux (and before any mods come on here to bleat about how you don't "support" Lunux, I already know that and do not need any support). This should make no difference whatsoever to the service except insofar as any tweaks done at my end will be unsupported. Which is of no consequence to me since I am an advanced user of this OS.

To cut a long story short, instead of the advertised speeds, ANY Linux OS I attach to virgin media CONSISTENTLY puts out a broadband speed of around 5mbps. However, if an MS Windows machine is connected, hey presto, speeds of 50mbps and above!. After contacting Virgin media about this and getting absolutely no explanation whatsoever, I rigged up a quick and dirty hack to get round the Virgin Media throttling of Linux by running the Virgin internet connection through an MS Windows shared internet connection on another machine in my home, that I then ran to my Linux machine. At which point, guess what, my Linux machine immediately posted broadband speeds of 50mbps and above!

However, I have since discovered that Virgin are also throttling the use of VPNs and torrent downloads. This is true, irrespective of whether their use is on an MS Windows machine, a Linux machine, or a Linux machine via an MS windows shared internet connection machine.

To put some numbers on it:

The advertised speed is "up to" 100mbps. In reality this is likely to be anywhere between 40 and 80, averaging around 50

------------------------------------

Linux direct internet connection = 5mbps average

MS Windows direct internet connection = 50mbps average

Linux indirect internet connection via MS Windows shared internet connection = 50mbps average

-------------------------------

Linux direct internet connection running a VPN = 5mbps average

Linux indirect internet connection running a VPN via MS Windows shared internet connection = 10mbps average

MS Windows direct internet connection running a VPN = 10mbps average

----------------------------

Linux direct internet connection running a torrent client = 2mbps average

Linux indirect internet connection running a torrent client via MS Windows shared internet connection = 2mbps average

MS Windows direct internet connection running a torrent client = 2mbps average

-----------------------------

Linux direct internet connection running a VPN and torrent client = 2mbps average

Linux indirect internet connection running a VPN and torrent client via MS Windows shared internet connection = 2mbps average

MS Windows direct internet connection running a VPN and torrent client = 2mbps average

-----------------------------

So, in summary, it looks like VPNs are being throttled to 10mbps, Linux is being throttled to 5mbps and torrent clients are being throttled to 2mbps. Thus, if you want to use Virgin media optic fibre, you need to be using MS Windows, no VPN service and no torrent client.

Sod Virgin. I'm done with them. I would rather go with a 17mbps copper wire connection.

stevecook172001
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin media throttling of Linux, VPNs and torrent clients

If any mods wish to come on here and justify/explain those numbers, I am all ears.

I wont hold my breath.....

stevecook172001
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 36
Flag for a moderator

So, no mods willing to come on here and refute any of the claims made by me, then?

From which it may be assumed that all of these claims are true.

Are there no other users of Virgin media on here who find this unacceptable? Either that Virgin Media are doing this in the first place or, if not that, then at least the fact that they are not making these throttling polices clear to prospective customers?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 36
Flag for a moderator

stevecook172001 wrote:

I rigged up a quick and dirty hack to get round the Virgin Media throttling of Linux by running the Virgin internet connection through an MS Windows shared internet connection on another machine in my home, that I then ran to my Linux machine. At which point, guess what, my Linux machine immediately posted broadband speeds of 50mbps and above!

This is likely a NIC to super hub port problem maybe driver related in Linux given that you connecting the Linux to a PC with two NIC's and your speed is fine.

Suggest you get your own router put the super hub in modem mode if you are in modem mode wanting to connect Linux directly try another NIC or get a bridge link type device can even be a firewall in between.

0 Kudos
stevecook172001
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for this reply. I had considered doing that and will try it. If it is a problem with Linux it is unlikely to be the make of NIC since I have tested this problem with three different machines using Linux. All of which have different makes of NIC on them. Therefore, I guess there is at least a possibility it is a driver issue. If it solves my initial problem, with the interface between my Linux machine and the superhub, then that is at least one of three problems solved.

However, that still leaves the other two. Namely, the drastic speed reductions associated with the use of a VPN and/or torrent client. These are not linked to the use of Linux since I have tested them both on a Windows machine and have experienced the same problem. The torrent issue is a deal breaker for me if it cannot be resolved since I am an active member of the Linux community and both seed and download Linux software daily. Similarly, the VPN issue is a deal breaker if it cannot be resolved. Security and privacy are a civil rights that I insist on exercising. I object to ISPs and other agencies spying on citizens, and that includes me. 

0 Kudos
stevecook172001
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 36
Flag for a moderator

So, I am still waiting for Virgin media to come on here and deny that they are throttling VPNs and Torrent clients. Not to mention that, for either deliberate or careless reasons, the effective speed from the Virgin Media Super-hub to any Linux machine is a mere fraction of the advertised speeds.

I will continue to post similar to the above each and every day to keep this thread at or near the top of the board until either Virgin Media responds or this thread is blocked.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 36
Flag for a moderator

You're unlikely to get a response if you bump the thread daily. The forum staff reply to threads in order of the last posting, so bumping a thread each day pushes it to the back of the queue.

At the moment they're replying to threads last posted in on Thursday so there seems to be a 48 hour wait for responses.

0 Kudos
stevecook172001
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Fair enough. Notwithstanding a requirement to respond to a post, I will give it four days of inactivity before resorting to a post bump

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stevecook172001,

We do have a traffic shaping policy in place that deals with p2p connections such as torrents and VPNs. You can read the policy here.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
stevecook172001
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I have read the policy and you clearly state that you only shape/control/throttle upload speeds.

Your opening statement in your policy is:

Our new policy is simple:

• We only restrict upload speed
  • Your speed is only reduced while the upload threshold is exceeded. So the speed reduction could only last as little as an hour as long as you reduce your uploads

However, it is my download speeds that are being reduced.......drastically

Furthermore, you are deliberately conflating VPNs and p2p torrent clients. A VPN is NOT, in itself, a p2p application. Additionally, where, in that policy, is there any mention of restricting speeds (either uploads or downloads)  when a VPN is being used?

0 Kudos