Menu
Kouneloz
Superfast
Message 1 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media have started throttling downloads again

From my experience, I can only deduce Virgin Media have started throttling download speeds again, perhaps not everywhere and maybe it's temporary over the holidays but sneaky to say the least especially when they tout that they no longer throttle downloads. I first noticed this issue when 2 PS4 game patch downloads weighing in at 10gb and 15gb took forever to download on the evening of Christmas eve. I didn't take much notice and I put this down to the time of year and the playstation network.

I usually watch twitch.tv streams at source quality which have never stopped buffering over and over again over the last couple of days and the lag in GTAV online and other online multiplayers I frequently play was noticeable e.g. other nearby players teleporting around after a few seconds.

I downgraded back to Vivid 152 which I upgraded from a week ago to see if it would make any difference and had my SH2 ac activated again to see if it would make a difference. Neither did. I also took both modems out of modem mode and connected to them directly via RJ45 to my regular desktop and download. No dice. I then called back and was put through to second line tech support who checked and said utilisation in my area peaked at 70% on Christmas and at the time of my call at 7.30pm yesterday evening, utilisation was at around 50% which meant there was plenty of capacity and utilisation was not the issue.

Writing this at 2.30pm, I now appear to be getting full speeds without any slowdowns. The following opensuse download mirror from Warwick university was downloading at 2-300 Kbps last night and now downloads at a steady 144 Mb/s

http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.2/iso/openSUSE-L...

Below are speedtest.net results from the past few days.

Evening of December 20th when I was on Vivid 200

Yesterday evening to my local VM server. I noticed everytime I rand a speedtest to my local VM server, I always got full speeds. It must use some form of loopback.

A bunch of other speedtests yesterday evening.

Now speedtests even as far out to Amsterdam give me full speeds

I did a bunch of thinkbroadbands speedtests yesterday but unfortunately they have no way I can retrieve the results like speedtest.net does and I recall single threaded speeds being reported at 2 and 3Mb/s.

I would appreciate if others who are affected can post speedtest.net results from this evening and run tests to servers other than your local VM server as I suspect local VM speedtest.net servers use some form of loopback.

0 Kudos
chinyy
Tuning in
Message 2 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media have started throttling downloads again

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5918144538

thats all i get and supposed to be getting 200.

mine has been bad for months

new superhub 3 wireless signal is bad compared to superhub 2 which was good.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I thought with thinkbroadband if you make an account you can store the speed results on there Smiley Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Kouneloz
Superfast
Message 4 of 39
Flag for a moderator

chinyy wrote:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5918144538

thats all i get and supposed to be getting 200.

mine has been bad for months

new superhub 3 wireless signal is bad compared to superhub 2 which was good.

You should call tech support on 0333 000 3101 and see if they can troubleshoot the issue. Your area is likely oversubscribed which they should be able to confirm one way or the other. This thread is for those who are experiencing slow speeds/throttling during peak hours.

0 Kudos
lynyona
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Just done a speed test on  mine not done it for a while. Ping 15ms DL 79.59 UL 11.65 ..think we get traffic managed a lot with all the downloaded updates for the Xbox Ones Xbox 360 PS3 etc.I refuse to pay for the gaming one and by the posts on here about it I don't think I will bother  lol as I begrudge what I already pay ....Id get rid of the whole lot Telephone TV and Broadband. I keep toying with another provider my friend as just changed she was so fed up with it and their trawled out excuses she says its slower but it doesn't drop out or stop working completely like her other did.my sons are night owls (adults not children)and they have both said that it always drops out at stupid o clock in the morning

0 Kudos
Kouneloz
Superfast
Message 6 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Is there other usage on your network when you are doing the speedtests? Try doing the tests again after 5pm, preferably around prime time around 7pm and to speedtest servers other than your local VM server and post back results.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 39
Flag for a moderator

@lynyona

Don't get the gaming package unless you stream ornwill make use of the upload.

It doesn't do anything for gaming (intact it's slightly worse as it puts you on a superhub3 with its puma chipset issue giving higher pings)

You won't get traffic managed from downloading a lot, but as alluded to earlier in the thread, LOTS of people are downloading games/updates from Christmas so areas are all going to be under a lot more strain for a small bit.

alalx
Dialled in
Message 8 of 39
Flag for a moderator

They've been throttling speeds in my area for over a year now during the day time under the fault code F003320128 which has had its "Review" date constantly move forward and forward with no solution in sight.

Poor service, unreliable company, shady practices.

I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003320128 - Ongoing faulty unreliable service from Virgin Media since July 2015
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Over Utilised is not throttling.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 39
Flag for a moderator

@alalx

That isn't throttling, that's contention. 2 separate things altogether.

Throttling is when it's being chosen to slow people down.

Contention is where the hardware is pushed over its finite limits causing you to 'fight' your neighbours for bandwidth.