Menu
shar10
Joining in
Message 1 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Very very slow broadband speed - area 14

I have just moved to virgin media from BT and the broadband speed in area 14 is a joke. I am paying for the vivid 100 package and have now ran 6 speed tests and this was the highest. Yesterday i was getting a ping of over 1000ms and couldn't even get a test result.

Ping Download Upload
180 ms7.63 Mb/s7.46 Mb/s
Virgin Cable

VM please sort as I haven't even had the service a week yet and I am already informing people how rubbish the service is from my experience. (Should have stayed with BT at around 30Mb/s)

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
SlowSM7
Dialled in
Message 17 of 63
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Very very slow broadband speed - area 14

I've switched and am happy with BT so far since I changed this week.  50Mbs vs. VM of 2Mbs in the evenings

All Replies
fastboy
Tuning in
Message 2 of 63
Flag for a moderator

same in area 14 (horbury),just tested and speedtest varies from 1mb upto 110 within a few minutes apart..upload is always flat out at 11=12mb..pings are horrible while gaming.

0 Kudos
SlowSM7
Dialled in
Message 3 of 63
Flag for a moderator

VM will sign you up and then when you complain about the service they will then tell you about an issue. Had the same when they upgraded me to try and get faster BB #mis-selling
0 Kudos
SlowSM7
Dialled in
Message 4 of 63
Flag for a moderator

I would just keep telling more people, that's what I do, it's about all you can do
0 Kudos
EL9916
Dialled in
Message 5 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, I too am in area 14 ( Rotherham Eastwood ) and just tonight I seem to be suffering from terrible speeds, its been fine in the past but suddenly I'm getting 10mbps or lower download and around 5-7mbps upload speed. 

considering you all have the same issue in the same area I am hoping its something VM is doing in the area and not something wrong with my gear.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Hey shar10,

Many thanks for your post and welcome to the Community!

I do wish the welcome could be under better circumstances.

I'm sorry to hear about the slow speeds experienced.

I've checked your account and there does indeed appear to be an open fault relating to a high demand for our service in your area which would cause slow speeds.

The fault ticket reference for this is F004020089, with a review date of 21/09/2016.

I have ensured that another team will monitor this fault in conjunction with your account and they will be in contact with you to discuss this further.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

We are working to resolve this ASAP.

Many thanks,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
stobbsie123
Dialled in
Message 7 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Definatly nothing wrong with your computer ,im in the same boat so to say,over 19 months of average speed 3-10mbps from 100mb that i got for the first 2 years ,virgin is a joke i have bt as well and i have NEVER SEEN SPEEDS BELOW 49MB EVEN AT PEAKTIMES ,this company will continue to take your money for a service that they advertise that they cannot give/maintain ,speeds ok when first join but only get worse by the day ,say there service is unlimited but if you use your internet for streaming movies then they restrict your service under the fair usage policy,dont worry about if you are in contract with them as you can leave with no penalty as if your speeds are below 5mbps they are in breach of contract as those speeds are not an acceptable speed as to what you would of signed for.

SlowSM7
Dialled in
Message 8 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Don't trust any VM review dates, they are just to keep you quiet for a while. 

There's plenty of online comment on these, I think VM have a random date generator.  They then put it back and say sorry, we seem to have spent all our money on Usain Bolt and have nothing left to upgrade the network or employ enough people to do this.

#NotTheFastest and possibly #TheSlowest

0 Kudos
MattDavis
Joining in
Message 9 of 63
Flag for a moderator

I'm in area 14 (Sheffield) and my speed's dropped by more than half since they started the speed "upgrade". Gone from consistent 100MB/s download 1 month ago to 30-45MB/s in the past few weeks.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Hi SlowSM7, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your speeds. 

I have taken a look and it seems you are affected by fault ref F004082892 for slow speeds at peak times. This is currently with the planning team so we don't have a lot of news on this currently. We should know more after 14/12/2016. I have popped the details across to the team that deal with this sort of fault and they will contact you as soon as they can with some more information. 

I can also see your downstream power levels are too low and the upstream power levels are too high, this will not be helping your speeds during non-peak hours. I would like to get an engineer out to take a look at this for you. 

I will pop you a PM to get this arranged. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos