Menu
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 160
Flag for a moderator

Very, very s-l-o-w ... again

Hello Virgin Media.

I'm currently getting very slow broadband speed. I'm paying for 150mb, but I'm actually getting 3mb this evening, which Is unacceptable. Please could you let me know if there is a fault.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. In October 2014 I had slow broadband speed due to "utilisation" that took 8 months to resolve.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 160
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very, very s-l-o-w ... again

Hi there JPL8,

Sorry for the delay in picking up your post.

I can see that you've spoken to the team since posting and they've advised you of an issue in your area concerning a high demand for our service under the fault reference of F003957459, with a review set for 29/03/2017. This is known to cause slower speeds, particularly during peak times.

I am sincerely sorry for any inconvenience caused.

I've sent you a private message so that we can chat some more about this.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 160
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very, very s-l-o-w ... again ... PO4 area

Thanks Nat_J. I've replied to you privately. 

This info is for other PO4 VM customers and members of the forum generally:

That doesn't look good. This fault (F003957459) has been open since October 2015 so far as I can tell.

What's strange is that my service was fine up until signing my new contract on 20th January because I ran some peak time tests. It was nowhere near full speed (150Mbs); I was getting 50-60Mbs at peak time, not the 3-6Mbs I'm getting now. I was also told by customer services that this was a fix date, not a review date.

Has anyone else had this problem straight after signing a new contract? How did you resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 160
Flag for a moderator

No problem JPL8,

I've since replied to your message to discuss account specific information further.

We are unable to provide specific dates for resolve as these are always subject to change. We therefore provide dates for review only, leaving the possibility for the work to be completed after or even before the date mentioned.

Speak soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 160
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry to say that over the last week my broadband service has got even worse. I was able to get around 160Mb/s off-peak, but that has now declined to 50Mb/s. The situation is that I'm currently getting 33% of the speed I should be getting off-peak and 3.33% of the speed at peak times. The credit that you've applied to my account doesn't go anywhere near enough redressing the inconvenience this is causing. Please see attached speed test results below:

6044072145.png6039062192.png6039418787.png6040022055.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 160
Flag for a moderator

Morning JPL8,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Apologies that you are experiencing slow speeds during off peak hours.

I can see that you are using the Super Hub in modem mode, are you using your own 3rd party router?

If so, are you able to complete speed tests during the daytime without your equipment attached, to see if there is a difference in speeds please?

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 160
Flag for a moderator

Hello Sam. Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, the hub is running in modem mode because I have an Apple AirPort Time Capsule that handles my wifi and backups. The Time Capsule supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies and I've set the channels to 13 and 44 to avoid interference. I've been using this set up for over two years without any problems until recently.

I've been running speed tests this week and in the mornings I'm able to achieve speeds above 160Mb/s wirelessly. However, this declines throughout the day until the evening where it hovers around 6Mb/s. 

The biggest frustration I have is that up until I signed a new contract last month there was no problem with my broadband. I know because I speed checked before I decided to renew. I was going to drop to a cheaper package, but customer services offered me a discount if I kept my existing broadband speed. I agreed to the offer because it seemed like a good deal.

However, previously I was on 152Mb/s download, 12Mb/s upload and the new package is 150Mb/s download and 10Mb/s upload. Ever since this switch my broadband has been suffering at peak times due to a utilisation fault (F003957459). I can't help but feel that if my broadband had remained exactly the same, as promised by customer services, then I would not be experiencing the degraded performance that I'm getting now.

I suspect that 152Mb/s is an older package that VM are phasing out and that now that I'm on the 150Mb/s package I'm fighting with everyone else for bandwidth. Otherwise, I'd be interested to know the explanation as to why my service, which was fine until mid-January, is suddenly suffering from a fault dating back to at least October 2015.

I regret signing a new contract with VM and I think it's outrageous that customer services do not advise customers that there is a fault when contracts/services are being discussed. This is lack of transparency and honesty is extremely damaging to Virgin Media's brand reputation.

Bearing in mind that the fault has been ongoing since October 2015 (I looked it up in this forum), it seems likely that the review date will come and go without any action being taken on VM's part. If the fault is not resolved by the the review date of 29/03/17 then I will have no option other than to terminate my contract because VM are clearly unable to fulfil their contractual requirements.

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 160
Flag for a moderator

Why no response to my reply from VM?

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 160
Flag for a moderator

Hello JPL8

I am sorry we took a while getting back, the thread was inadvertently overlooked, apologies.

I appreciate that the slower speeds are most likely down to area traffic issues however we would always recommend using a wired connection for speed tests just to be sure that the wireless is not degrading in the evening.

The package that one is on tends not to make much difference when area traffic approaches maximum capacity, your hub has been on the same cable since 2014 by the way so it may have got worse and just happens to coincide with your change of package.

Review date is still showing 29 MAR 2017

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 160
Flag for a moderator

Getting beyond a joke now. Seriously Virgin Media, how on earth is this acceptable? I really didn't think that VM's service could get any worse, but my connection is pretty much unusable now. I'm struggling to upload even the Speedtest PNG to show it ... Nope can't upload the image file to show you that I'm getting:

2.01Mb/s DL

1.15Mb/s UL

471ms ping

0 Kudos