Menu
harrygr
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Very slow speeds at peak times - Area 21

We have a 50Mbps Virgin Media internet connection here (area ref 21, SW4) and our speeds in the evenings barely get above 2.5Mbps, often much lower (speed test - wired). This is 1/20th of the advertised speeds and makes the internet almost unusable in our shared house.

Your network is clearly not capable of coping with the demand. This leads me to ask why I'm paying for a 50Mbps service which doesn't deliver and what is Virgin doing to rectify the situation.

Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 22.24.31.pngScreen Shot 2016-01-17 at 22.25.08.png

0 Kudos
chazd
Tuning in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow speeds at peak times - Area 21

Exactly the same, in area 21 too (SE5). Can't watch youtube when I get home from work in the evenings. Not good at all.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Any high network demand aside, the upstream power level is maxed out, this would cause your connection to be less stable and make any high demand network problems seem that much more exasperated.  You would want to get an engineer appointment to have that corrected. A member of the Forum Team here could book that appointment in for you (up to three days for a response from them.) They'll also be able do check on the utilization and provide you private with more details regarding it. Or you can call into 150 / 0345 454 1111 -> option 2 (faults) -> report a broadband fault.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi harrygr

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read that you're experiencing slow broadband speeds during peak hours. I know how frustrating this can be.

As mentioned by Shelke the upstream power level is too high. For this I would like to book an engineer to adjust these for you. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can go ahead with the appointment.

I did also notice a high peak time traffic fault in your area that is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003569115 and with a review date of 18th May.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

matt-h
Dialled in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Is it possible for you to dig out a reference number for the similar fault in area 20 m33 Sam? Posted about it but no one got back to me yet. Exact Same issue as this thread. In fact there's 20 + plus issues with it been raised. Been told it's been escalated by second line to be investigated but not be given a ref number yet. Cheers
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi matt-h

In regards to this issue, I have replied to you on your own thread here.

If you can post back on there for me, that would be great.

Thanks

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

harrygr
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

OK so it's monday night and since my original complaint there has been no improvement in the broadband speed, despite a recent engineer visit.

Here is the latest speed test:

This is truly terrible service. Virgin should not advertise 50Mbps if they can't provide it when customers want to use it. What are Virgin going to do about this?

0 Kudos
harrygr
Joining in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Area 21 - under 2Mb/s on 50Mb/s connection

Further to my previous thread complaining of very slow speeds at peak times, the problem has not got any better.

An engineer has visited a few weeks ago and resolved the minor power level issue.

Ping and speed is incredibly slow to the point where even streaming a sd youtube video is not possible without constant buffering. Here is a test from just now:

Here are the connection status once again:

Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 21.17.21.pngScreen Shot 2016-03-22 at 21.17.48.png

This is unacceptable service. You cannot advertise a 50Mb/s connection that only operates at < 3Mb/s when people actually want to use it.

0 Kudos
asgsitting
Joining in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 21 - under 2Mb/s on 50Mb/s connection

same with Area 22, suppose to be getting 200 Mbps getting around 70. Oh Dear! 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 21 - under 2Mb/s on 50Mb/s connection

Hi harrygr

Thanks for getting back to us though it's a shame to hear that the speeds haven't improved since the engineer visit. The power levels all look healthy at the moment which is great but you are still affected by the contention fault ticket that Sam has previously mentioned F003569115.  Apologies for any inconvenience caused while we work to resolve this problem. If you are able to bump the thread a little nearer to the review date which is estimated for 18/05/2016 we can certainly check for any updates on this ticket.

Kind regards 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos