Menu
skerdimuco
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Very slow speed in the evening

Hello,

I am experiencing very slow internet during evenings. It drops from 50Mbps to less than 1Mbps, which is unacceptable.

Can someone help? My area is in Clapham, Sw11 5pr.

Regards,

Skerdi

0 Kudos
ChrisH6
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow speed in the evening

This is a common problem to everybody in the local SW11 6 area (I think the Virgin area reference is 21).  And it has been a problem for over 12 months now.

Can Virgin please advise what is being done to fix this problem, and when the expected fix date is? 

0 Kudos
skerdimuco
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks ChrisH6,

Would we have the same problem if we were to switch to Sky? Virginmedia doesn't seem to care that much.
0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You could give BT a go. At least when you type your postcode into their website you get an honest response as to whether or not they can supply you with broadband and what level of service you can get.

There's been a VM utilisation fault in my area since October 2015. This is what they say in my area:

BT: "BT Infinity is available in your area but due to a high demand there is currently no capacity left at your local cabinet. There will be a waiting period until we can activate the service."

VM: "Great news! You can get Virgin Media"

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi skerdimuco,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read you are experiencing slow broadband speeds during the evenings.

I would like to check your connection for any issues, however I was unable to locate your account. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. 

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Skerdi,

Thanks for the reply and confirming your details, I appreciate it.

I've taken a look at the connection and there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing these slow speeds. The reference number is F004019650 and has a review date of 29th March.

If you are also experiencing slow speeds outside peak hours, can you complete speed tests whilst the Hub is in modem mode please? This will eliminate other devices connected.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos