Menu
gabrirucci
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Very slow speed in the evening

Hi,

I was wondering what is going on with my network. During the day I easily reach the 50 Mbps which I pay for and after 7 pm it's hard to get through 3 Mbps. I understand that you never guarantee for the maximum of speed, but there should be a reasonable minimum, isn't?
I have run all the checks in my hardware but it sounds weird that it happens only at night..
I first thought to a congestion of the useage in my area though I hope it's not as in 2016 in Surrey (RH1) it'd mean someone has to improve tools and sources especially when people are paying a little extra to get good speed average in terms of broadband.

Hope to get assistance by someone.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Very slow speed in the evening

Hi gabrirucci

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

My apologies that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

I've checked your connection and there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003369911 and with a review date of 26th October.

One of my colleagues will be in touch shortly with more information in regards to this issue.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting years for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi gabrirucci

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

My apologies that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

I've checked your connection and there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003369911 and with a review date of 26th October.

One of my colleagues will be in touch shortly with more information in regards to this issue.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
gabrirucci
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I hope to get assistance by someone as I am paying for a service that I am using mostly in the evening.
Also it is £30 per month for a broadband with a speed going even below the classic ADSL. :/ Quite disappointed with this.
0 Kudos
mattysouthall
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I am getting slow speeds in the evening too, area B63. 200Mb broadband down to around 7 - 10Mb in which Netflix won't play.

0 Kudos
NathanT22
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm on vivid200 gamer in the b63 area, and in the evening my speeds are very bad. I can't stream or watch anything, buffering all the time!
0 Kudos
swilkinson28
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media are throttling the speeds, but deny all knowledge of this and just fob you off with talk of faults in your area etc. I'm having the same problem and am cancelling my service the first chance I get. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

vm are not throttling speeds. spreading this false information is not helping anyone.
0 Kudos
skerdimuco
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

I also experience very slow internet during the evenings. It goes as slow as <1Mbps which is unacceptable.

Could someone look int this? I live in Clapham area, SW115PR.

Thank You

0 Kudos
Danr2205
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I live in the DY8 area and i am on the 50mb package which we get during the day, but when i go to play on my xbox after 6pm online gaming slows to point of unplayable, then i do a network test and i get 3mbps download, 0mbps upload and the latency is 1000+ms. I know this is normally peak time for usage but these statistics make doing anything on the internet impossible to do.

Please can you have a engineer look at the box in our area and sort out this issue to manage the traffic or put our connection on a quieter line because why should i pay for half a service, or alternatively you can knock some money off our monthly bill because we are not able to fully utilise what we are paying for.

Regards

Dan R

0 Kudos