Menu
Bennyj16
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Very slow peak speeds - St Albans

Hi,

I'm having real trouble with my 100mbps service between about 6-10pm (in Area 31 in St Albans). During the day the speed is fine but in the evenings it often drops below 5mbps which makes it almost useless for TV streaming (which is what we wanted it for in the first place). At the moment I'm paying a premium for a product that is running at barely 5% of the advertised speed at the times of day I actually need it to be fast. Very disappointed with Virgin for this. If anyone has any advice that may help I'd be grateful but it looks like I'll be switching from Virgin at the end of the contract. Maybe another company won't be any faster, but at least I won't be paying for a service I'm not receiving.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Bennyj16
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow peak speeds - St Albans

Just a quick example - remember I'm paying for a 100mbps service...

Virgin Media 100mbps service in St AlbansVirgin Media 100mbps service in St Albans

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey Bennyj16,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the slow speeds you're getting.

I've just had a check and I can that we're currently working on a fault in your area. The fault ref is: F003422808 and it's due for review on the 11th Jan. This fault is responsible for reducing the speeds during peak time hours (evenings and weekends).

I am sorry for this, I know it's disappointing. Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Ianm2585
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Please note when virgin gives a review date it means they all sit around drinking tea and biscuits then unanimously agree to move the move the review date on another month or two .the holy grail or rocking horse doda is to actually get a repair date from them my internet speeds have been dragging for nearly a year now but close now to moving providers and erasing virgin from my household altogether as they cannot be bothered to take care of existing customers but would prefer to rope in new customers and sell them a service they cannot provide . Pays good money though hear their boss has an island somewhere and mr bolt does ok touting their fast broadband speeds but n reality for area 31 they would do better using a sloth .

0 Kudos
Bennyj16
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather,

The 11th of January is well past but unfortunately there has been no improvement at all in the service. The speed we get in the evenings is around 3 or 4mbps (but also drops below this) and we are paying for the 100mbps service. Do you have any other suggestions as to how we can improve this? Currently we can't use our service for streaming internet TV in the evening, which is what we upgraded to Virgin for in the first place - the speed we are getting in the evening is actually slightly slower than the ADSL service we had previously. If you can't improve the speed in the evening then I'd like to know when I can cancel my contract. It has 4 or 5 months left to run but if you can't provide the service I'm paying for then that seems like reasonable grounds to cancel it early.

Thanks

Ben

Average line speed at 8pm last night - 100mbps serviceAverage line speed at 8pm last night - 100mbps service

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey Ben,

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley Happy

Really sorry to hear that your speeds haven't improved. I can see the review date has shifted to the 26th April.

Please give our Customer Relations team a call to discuss your contract, this isn't something we can help with on the forum.

Sincere apologies again for all inconvenience caused.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos