Menu
ADAMPOKE111
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Very slow download using Steam

I have the 200 Mbps Virgin Media package and everything is fine - usual download speeds and uploads speed on every service except Steam. I am getting an average of about 300 KB/s on Steam when I would usually be able to get ~20 MB/s easily since Steam's download speed is uncapped. My friend who is also using Virgin Media and has the exact same package as me is not getting this issue.

Any ideas to why this could be?

Here's a SpeedTest.net result: http://www.speedtest.net/result/5791257611.png
Here's a ThinkBroadband result: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=14789036000911882649

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow download using Steam

Have you tried changing the download location from steam? I used to get slower speeds regularly from steam until my Danish friend suggested i swap server to Denmark. Never had an issue since.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
ADAMPOKE111
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I have tried changing the download location to several different locations and none of them have made a slight bit of difference. It peaks for a moment at ~6 MB/s then steadily falls to ~300 KB/s.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi ADAMPOKE111,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

Sorry to read that you are having issues with the download speed through Stream.

I've taken a look at your connection for any issues and the line/hub have come back as fine. The network segment is running stable and healthy.

Have you tried to download whilst the Super Hub is in modem mode to see if you get the same speeds?

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide