Menu
JemUK
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Very slow download speeds

Hi,

I am having really  slow Download speeds with Virgin Media on WiFi on my laptop - only 5Mbps when I am paying for the Vivid 152Mbps package - so am not happy customer to be honest, Area Ref: 20.

Original VM SuperHub

Speedtest reported just 5Mb down and 12mb up - which is not great!

VM Router Speed.png

This is happening more and more often recently - please could VM sort this out? ;/

Just took another speed test - and the results are even worse:

6027884710.png

Any replies or help would be great, I have been told I am getting the 200mb speed boost this month too, whih to be honest seems a bit of a joke when looking at these results! Smiley Sad

Regards,

James M.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow download speeds

Hi James M,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

Sorry to see you are having issues with your broadband speeds.

I've run some tests on your connection and can see a high peak time traffic fault in your area. The reference number is F004067772 and has a review date of 1st March.

As this will have an impact on your connection during peak hours, what speeds do you achieve outside these hours?

Are you able to complete tests through a wired connection at different times of the day to see if there is a difference?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

JemUK
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your reply - I seem to be getting very slow times in peak hours, usually only around 5-6 Mbps maximum during these times (usually 7-10pm on most weekdays).

During the day (pre 5pm) I get around 40-50Mbps on my Wi-fi but nowhere near the 152mb Vivid Service I am on and paying for! Area Ref: 20 - Fareham, South Hampshire if this helps.

Kind regards,

James M.

0 Kudos
JemUK
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Re: A wired connection - is not possible as the router is in the other room (which is only about 12ft / 15ft away from where my PC is) and I want to be able to use the WiFi for my other devices on the network. And so that you know - I am aware about changing channel numbers and that channels 1, 6 and 11 are best for non-interference or overlap with other channels on the 2.4Ghz frequency.

I am currently using Channel 11 (which has the least interference from any neighbouring wi-fi, who regulary use Channels 1 and 6 more often than not.  - I have an original SuperHub (back from 2010 I think, when I joined VM) 

I am using upto 144Mbps and my average signal strength is around 81 - 82%

Hope this is also of some help to why I might be getting slow speeds sometimes!

Kind regards,

James M.
VirginMedia Customer

0 Kudos
JemUK
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply - but I do feel I am being cheated out of a product I am paying for and not getting a good enough service in return - for example you said:

"As this will have an impact on your connection during peak hours, what speeds do you achieve outside these hours?" - Wait a minute, why should this be a problem when I am paying you for a service and you are simply not delivering? It isn't really a good enough excuse is it?!

Also, why is the review date not until 1st March? In the meantime I have to endure poor download speeds Smiley Sad

Not happy to be honest.

James M.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi James, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see you have continued to have trouble with your connection. 

I am not able to check your connection fully at this time as the hub is showing as offline apologies for this. But I would like to know if the 40-50Mbps stated was on a wired or a wireless connection? 

Unfortunately these types of faults can sometimes have a long lead time, this is due to the complexity in getting the fault resolved. They can involve anything from digging up the roads to lay new cables to building new head end buildings to sore equipment. 

The can take a lot of time in planning and permissions from local councils, land owners, businesses, gas, water, electric suppliers to name but a few. 

I am going to pop you a PM with some more information. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos