Menu
Hadd57
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Very slow broadband problems

Hi,  any ideas to why the broadband would keep dropping or be very slow. I have tried resetting my hub and called virgin who say there was a problem that he fixed whilst I was on the phone to him. but still the same. the fault finding service also backs this saying there's a problem and call them. but they insist they have resolved the problem but clearly not the case. is there another way to contact them other or UK number. this has been happening about a week now

thanks

0 Kudos
andy2510
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow broadband problems

Hi

Sorry to jump onto this thread however I'm having the same issues (so rather than start a new thread for the same problem, we can both have the same answer here).

I've done exactly the same except call up, as it seems to be a waste of time! During testing my speed went down as low as 1.5Mb - it supposed to be around 200Mb! Only upgraded on Monday though with the SuperHub 2 (which should be OK).

Mind you - it seems to have been very intermittant all day, even refusing to connect this morning.

What's going on? Looking at other posts it seems to be a nationwide issue.

Andy

0 Kudos
andy2510
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Still having slow downloads - slower than uploads now.

On hold on 150 now - extremely angry that I was cut off on first call so ended up at back of queue. It has just happened again - THIS IS NOT ON. 20 Minutes WASTED.

The amount of times the error checking hasn't completed and I've had to rebooted is beyond a joke.

I seem to be only getting 4% of the speed for 100% of the cost - this is ridiculous and I want a credit on the account in respect that I have had very poor speeds over the last couple of days plus no connection at all yesterday morning.

It's been ages since I've had such bad customer service as this.

0 Kudos
Hadd57
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Still no improvement here. Waste of time with the call centre, it's just the same script they go over. "Let's book an engineer for you. Hang on while I run some tests. Then to say I have fixed it for now and cancel the engineer". I'm sure they make it all up. Keep you hanging get on the phone so you don't bother them again.
Very poor service
0 Kudos
andy2510
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

FINALLY got through (after going through via Bills!) - it appears we have a SNR fault, nothing we can do at the moment.

Oh well...

0 Kudos
chrisdocker
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I had a tussle recently with Virgin over my billing and got it sorted out (I thought) after writing to the managing director. I'm now supposed to be getting "up to 200Mb speeds" yet mostly get not more than 20 or 30 if I'm lucky. Slow enough for a streamed video to give me a warning notice, "Your broadband is not really fast enough, but it will buffer if you want to wait."

But my real trouble is resets. With or without calling service (who are quite good) it means time, going upstairs, doing the unplugging, waiting, re-booting. Yes, it usually works, but not very helpful if you were halfway through booking cinema tickets for a show starting quite soon. I've gone through that rigmarole (the re-booting, not the cinema tickets) three times this week.
0 Kudos
andy2510
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Latest update - apparently the fix date was for today (I've been recredited the broadband element from last Wednesday until today) however the speed is worse!

I've not called them today - however it is a known issue in the area as the 1st line tech told me there is a SNR problem in the area without even asking for the router stats! Has anyone been out to check the infratructure locally? Especially as the cabinet doors are faulty (sometimes wide open, currently has a local council roadworks fence resting against it!) so the equipment inside could be damaged by the recent cold weather and causing the issue. Plus, the area was cabled in the early 90's (about 25 years ago when cable TV was analogue and no broadband Internet!) by Birmingham Cable Communications so could the cable be life-expired? I'm not sure when this house was cabled because it was done before we moved in - however if it is affecting multiple users it may not be this that's causing a fault.

Last check - download 2Mb, Upload 10Mb!

0 Kudos