Menu
richard9292
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Very slow FTP speed

Hi all,

I've just set up the 152mb package at my new house. Online speed tests show my speed to be around 151mb but when I try to download over FTP it maxes out at around 2MB/s, a game downloaded over Steam averages around 16MB/s. Is there anything I can do? I know the FTP server is capable of much faster speeds so I don't think that is the issue.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
danmeah
Dialled in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow FTP speed

will depend on peering/route etc

where is the server from? and what network?

even still 16MB/S is not the max speed (it's only around 128Mbps out of 160Mbps which could be possible)

0 Kudos
richard9292
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply!

The FTP server is from Feral Hosting, I'm not sure where it is but I know it has more than enough bandwidth and have seen much faster downloads on slower internet packages.

I did think it should have been faster on Steam but coming from a 6mb connection I felt I couldn't complain too much!

Edit: Should I be worried about these errors?

vm.PNG

0 Kudos
danmeah
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

i happen to know (as an ex customer) they can get quite congested and they are typically OVH resellers. so it could be a Virgin media > OVH problem again.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

16MB/s over steam isn't actually far off what you should be getting.

Have to remember most downloads show MB/s speeds and not to he Mb/s speeds(yes there is a difference between MB/Mb) that the headline speeds are.

16MB/s = 128Mb/s which isn't that far off the 152Mbs packages maximum.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Emmyslu
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Use CuteFTP with sequential download setting to Max. It will divide your download into smaller chunks, which should each DL at 2mbs.
0 Kudos
richard9292
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've tried a few different FTP clients including cuteFTP. I've also tried downloading from the server over HTTP with the same average speed of 1.5MB/s. Connecting to the server on a different internet connection I am able to download at 10MB/s so I'm confident it's not an issue with the server.

0 Kudos
jmullaney
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Richard, I'm also using Feral Hosting and seeing awful FTP downstream speeds (typically locked at around 500kb/s at the moment). I spoke to Joshua at Feral and he suggested trying to change the routing via https://network.feral.io/reroute but alas to no avail.

I made my own post here before I just found yours: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Potential-FTP-downstream-traffic-shaping/m-p/2969177#M8593...
0 Kudos
sp00n
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey Richard,

Did you manage to get this issue sorted in the end?

0 Kudos
HackmanSlim
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am also having a terrible time

feral hosting again, have tried the reroute traffic method which used to work might i add, but now is very redundant.getting speeds of 200k-500k a sec on http and ftp, steam is not affected, simply changing the server improves the speed for me, i am at a loss on what to do,i dont really wanna give up on feral, as they are a fantastic service,i store my twitch gameplay vids tthere for people to download, and if i cant download em, then they cant aswell, btw i am on the 300mb homeworks service, can you help us VM ?

Lee

0 Kudos