Menu
bettypug
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Very poor speeds after package change

My virgin package changed on midnight of 30th November - I now only have bb (100mb) , no tv or phone.  Previously had basic phone tv and 120mb.

Literally from midnight onwards, my speeds have dropped tremendously.  Every evening from around 7pm to around 1am, speeds are under 2mb.  I am finding I can't stream netflix and can barely browse the internet.  I've monitored the speeds every night since.

I'm really irritated as I didn't have this problem before my package change.  There's only me in the house so not multiple devices using the internet.  I had to sign up for another 18 month contract and suddenly my service is terrible.  

It can't be due to excess usage in the area as it was fine just a few days ago.  Feel I am paying for something I can't use, and almost feel like I'm being penalised for the change in package!

11.30pm11.30pmSpeed tests below show the speeds frm last night as an example.  I've done tests both wired and wi-fi.

11.30pm11.30pm8.30pm8.30pm

0 Kudos
acmiddle
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very poor speeds after package change

Yup, exactly the same to us and our neighbours! It's like a punishment for reducing requirements for all their services. Very poor speeds and the data link stability is now very poor too! 

bettypug
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, good to know not just me.

It's just taken me about ten minutes to post a reply because the page won't load properly.

I'll be asking virgin to close my account shortly as they are not meeting their end of the bargain.  A shame after 16 years as a customer.

acmiddle
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The problem is, all these service providers have got us over a barrel. Everybody is demanding more bandwidth and higher speeds and the infrastructure just cannot cope. If you change service provider, you may get a good service for the first few months (to make you think they are brilliant) and then your Grade of Service will deliberately be reduced to join the rest of the sufferers! Of course, by then you are locked in to a 2 year contract. Virgin in Warminster is good (used to be good) because it feeds off the fibre optic cable running between Corsham and Plymouth (installed by the MoD). Tivo has always been much better than the BT option! I'll keep going with Virgin as the best of a bad lot, but it is very frustrating!

0 Kudos
bettypug
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I get what you mean and agree almost certainly true across the board.

The thing is I've had no speed issues for years, since it went up in speed and been more than happy with the service.  It has literally gone down hill overnight since the change in my package at the beginning of the month. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there bettypug,

Really sorry to hear about the connection fault experienced. Smiley Sad

Having had a look at your account, there does appear to be a high demand for our service in your area.

I have raised this over with our Networks team to investigate further.

I'll make sure to get back to you regarding this as soon as I receive any update.

Many thanks,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi bettypug,

Just a quick update as promised regarding the previous fault mentioned.

This has now been raised under the ticket reference of F004946327, with a review set for 08/02/2017.

I've passed this information on to another team to monitor in conjunction with your account.

I've also sent you a private message so that we can chat about this some more.

Speak to you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos