Menu
geecee61
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Very poor speed

Up until 4 days ago I was mostly hitting above 150mb all day and evening now through the day over these last 4 days I have been getting no more than 13mb and as low as 11mb today  it has not risen at all above these figures through this period yet twice in the evening after midnight it has increased to the normal 150mb+ only to drop again when I get to the computer the next day, I work from home and have a powerful computer but this speed is unacceptable for the speed I need to work and the price I pay for a high speed, I have changed the Ethernet cable, secured all other cable connections to the hub and my computer, reset the super hub numerous times with no joy, I have patiently gone through the phone supports script who only relay to me what I have already tried only to be told I have to now wait 4 days for an engineer to come out to look at it, is there sometime I'm missing here as the status page for my area shows no problem!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very poor speed

The service status page shows major area faults and outages that are impacting multiple customers.  If your fault is specific to your hub or line then it won't show up on that page.

Speeds can be hampered by a number of things, faulty hubs, power levels to the hub being outside of the normal operating range, loose or damaged coax cables, etc.  If an engineer has been booked then it is probably necessary as it costs them money so they are usually reluctant to send them out unless they have diagnosed an issue with your connection.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

geecee07
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply, the engineer comes tomorrow now, which is good as I am now down to 2mb for the last 5 hours!, this truly is shocking.

0 Kudos
geecee07
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Here is my downstream infoScreenHunter_74 Nov. 23 22.54.jpg

0 Kudos
geecee07
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So the engineer came today and changed all the cables and bang 200mb, and that lasted for 80 minutes before I was back down to 3.5mb, reading all the speed issues on here how have they been so blasé about fixing the issue?, do they value their customers so little? or have they bitten off more than they can chew with their customer load, whatever they are offering no solution for this obvious problem they have, I've been with Virgin for 8 years now and I shall now review alternative broadband providers and have Virgins equipment removed once I have a new one in place, if I can not do my work at the computer then I can not afford loyalty to Virgin Media, I'm done.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Evening geecee61,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

My apologies that you are having issues with your broadband speeds. I know how frustrating this can be and would like to help as much as I can.

Looking at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running stable.

Are you able to complete speed tests at different times of the day whilst the Super Hub is in modem mode please? This will eliminate other devices connected.

I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some additional information.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos