Menu
Wilf2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Very poor speed on new service

We have had a Virgin media full house 200 package for a month. Our download speed is typically just 2Mb/s. Two Techs have been and said everything looks fine in the house (but confirm that the speed is way too low). Cabinet Techs are supposed to have been to check in the street, but we don't know if they came or not. Our speed remains at 2Mb/s (not 200). I can't see the point of getting a third Tech to call- so what else can I try? We are paying for a service we can't access- it seems unfair.

0 Kudos
Rancid
Up to speed
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very poor speed on new service

While this is likely to make your blood boil...
you do not have a 200mb service.
you have an UPTO 200mb service.

it is 99.9% likely the issue has nothing to do with your connection/house/computers/ipads/wireless and so forth.

it is almost certainly due to Virgin not having enough capacity in their network to service the product they have sold you.
they would not have told you this in advance.
it will not appear on the service status.

in a week or two a VM forum rep will be along to tell you that this issue is due to "over utilisation" in your area and will be reviewed in 6-8-12 months time.
Note when they say review this does not imply action or a fix or resolution, it means only that it will be reviewed.

Area 21 SW16 crap speeds for 12+ Months... current fault F004332018, Complaint COM101113771 Ignored, VM code of conduct Ignored... Avoid VM at all costs
Wilf2
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I take your point about 'up to', I was expecting to get something a bit over 100Mb/s (given that up to 100 is a cheaper contract). We have moved from a remote village in somerset where we got 8Mb/s on a long BT wire, so never in my wildest nightmares did I expect 2Mb/s on cable in SE9 (area 21)!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey Wilf2,

Thanks for getting in touch, welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I know having slow speeds is disappointing. Have you checked the performance of your connection with your hub in Modem Mode yet? If not, please do so and post your results so we can continue to investigate.

Thanks again,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Wilf2
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Dear Heather

Is this not something that the various Technicians that have been so far would have done? They have all confirmed that the speed is very slow at around 2meg every way they test it and that nothing seems to be wrong with the equipment. It is not the checking that's the issue, it is getting it fixed that seems out of the question. I do understand that the contract is 'up to  200meg', but imagine you bought a sports car that went 'up to 200mph' and it turned out to have a top speed of just 2mph- would you not want to take it back to the garage (albeit very slowly) and demand your money back?

greeniegirl
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Afternoon

If your using a hub 3 its worth logging into your router, setting up a guest network and trying the speed test on your tablet/phone etc just as a process of elimation?

I am a virginmedia employee but all opinions are my own.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wilf2,

Thank you for keeping in touch, I am sorry to see you have continued to have trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and your downstream power levels are too high. I would like to get an engineer out to correct this for you. I can see that you said you have already had and engineer so in this case I will be requesting a Principle Technician, please be aware I can only put the request though for a Principal Technician but if there is an issue on the day and the Principal Technician cannot attend another engineer will arrive in their stead. 

I will pop you a PM to get this arranged. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry, but my warped sense of humour read the last post as: "If we can't get an orangutan, we'll send you a chimpanzee, as the spider monkeys don't know what they're on about.". Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
greeniegirl
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Evening

High Utilisation faults are extremely frustrating. Your ticket is with the planning department, there is a lot of permissions involved when sorting out these types of faults.  I know the fault has been ongoing for a very long time.  Ive just checked the ticket and the est fix time is 31/05/2017 00:00:00.  Apologises that this date has been pushed.

I am a virginmedia employee but all opinions are my own.
0 Kudos
Wilf2
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I called the helpline again and the person I talked to accidentally put me through to some-one who knows a thing or two (she meant to put me on hold whilst she talked to him- so he was a bit surprised to begin with). He is called Steve and he is Welsh, he identified the problem as being that the modem is stuck in start up mode- he sent a new one and it works fine. Thanks all who have taken an interest.

0 Kudos