Menu
rmarq
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Very bad single connection and VPN speeds

I have have recently tried to use a VPN at home, because of work. I am paying for 50mbit/s package and expected that my VPN connection would be slower than that, which is normal.

However, I came to the realization that, not only do I get very slow speeds when on the VPN, I also get slow speeds when the application(s) is using a single connection. The latter includes, for example, downloading a Linux image from a mirror in the UK.

I then decided to do some research and found out about the following:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Very-poor-HTTP-download-speed/td-p/3026879

Then I decided to do some testing myself. This is what I found (at peak time 9pm):

NO VPN: 

My Broadband Speed Test

VPN:

My Broadband Speed Test

What do you know? The VPN speeds, using OpenVPN (a single connection protocol), are close to the speed of a single connection when not using a VPN! The VPN speed maxes out at my friend's place. He has BT.

I'm not even going to go into the fact that I'm paying to for 50MBit/s and getting 15.

This is utter rubbish!

My contract period ends in December. If nothing changes until then I am moving to another provider.

I live in London, in the Camden/Kentish Town area.

Would really appreciate a word from a VM representative.

Regards,

R

0 Kudos
Kelsbells1982
Joining in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very bad single connection and VPN speeds

The encryption required for open VPN is CPU intensive.

Are you running openvpn on your router I.e. DD-WRT? If so you need a high spec router. Or run the client locally on your computer.

If not are you using TCP or UDP? UDP will be faster for a VPN connection.

Also check your MTU settings.

My experience is that VM don't throttle VPN connections.

0 Kudos
rmarq
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

OpenVPN on local client, so the router doesn't even have to break the extra sweat.

Tried UPD and TCP, very similar result.

This is not a VPN throttling problem. My tests show that I get the same speeds over a single non VPN connection.

0 Kudos
rmarq
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Anyone from Virgin Media out there?

0 Kudos
TheChairman
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Confirms one of my suspicions. If you suffer from congestion the capping on a single thread download still occurs probbaly making it unusable or even more unusable.

Sadly virgin don't seem interested in the single thread capping so I wouldn't hold your breath getting that fixed. Does the speed improve off peak or is it slow the rest of the time. If it does improve then it's congestion if it stays the same then probably another fault plus single thread capping.

0 Kudos
rmarq
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Fresh results just prior to peak time (7:15pm)

VPN:

My Broadband Speed Test

NO VPN:

My Broadband Speed Test

The pattern is right there. It's very obvious.

0 Kudos
rmarq
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Anyone from VM out there?

0 Kudos
RainmakerRaw
Up to speed
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I reported this on here yonks (a couple of years?) ago and it's never changed. There's a huge thread on this part of the forum atm about poor single thread speeds, but VM just basically ignore it. You'll find FTTC much more consistent if it's really bothering you. I scrape 5Mbps for single threaded connections (including VPN) most of the afternoon and evening on a 200Mbps connection most days, and I am on the verge of jumping to Sky FTTC. They have given me a guaranteed minimum speed of 55Mbps and a projected 75Mbps down and 20Mbps up. They don't suffer from this single threaded crawl and congestion nonsense in the same way, and I'm starting to think 70Mbps 24/7 is better than 5Mbps during waking hours and 200Mbps for ten minutes in the middle of the night... Worth a look for you too, perhaps.

0 Kudos
rmarq
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes I linked to that thread on my original post.

My contract is about to end, so it's great timing. I'm just giving VM a chance to address the problem.

If they don't want to address the problem. They lose a customer.

This situation, and the way VM is (not) managing the situation is shameful.

0 Kudos
RainmakerRaw
Up to speed
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ah so you did. Sorry, that's what happens when you post in the middle of the night. In my defence, it's the only time my VM connection actually works haha... Smiley Wink