Menu
AgentP
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Very Slow broadband - Live22 UBR - L12

Hi There,

I have been a VM member since around 2012 approx.

When i joined it was working fine but for some reason since around 2013 its just deteriorated to the point that ADSL or VDSL via phone line is starting to look more of a viable option.

The reason for this is because the speeds are just getting worse and worse even though work such as re-segmentation up to Category C Re-Segmentation is NOT helping to alleviate the problem.

My problem seems to be at peak times the speeds are dropping below what i would deem a tolerable level of around 30-40Mb to less than 10Mb or even worse in some cases (My lowest recorded was one Sunday in 2015 when it dropped to a appalling 4Mb!! My O2 4G service was pulling in around 30+Mb which was a total joke, it rendered the service totally unusable for me and i contact VM whom wouldn't really help except to send engineers out and after one taking a attenuator off and another swapping the CM the problem still persists.

Sure i have had a High Level complaint handled by VM's CEO's office but still only got a discount for a few months but i just want a service that has a certain level of throughput that i can say is not great but i can comfortably get by on rather than having it spike down to the depths of nearly not having a service at all (which I AM PAYING FOR BTW)

Now in 2016 with the new Vivid service now in operation (to a degree) it just seems to be staying the same dreary old service offering around 30-60Mb or less during peak times and at weekends, especially bad on Sundays after 7pm when it more or less grinds down to around 10Mb or less because everyone is VPN-ing or Android-boxing TV shows from the states cos they cannot wait for the next episode of their latest series which hammers the network between 7pm-12Midnight on Sundays!!

My honest opinion you really need to bring back your Service Level Thresholds that you use to have where it would halve speeds once over a certain threshold as when these were in use both me and a friend across the street whom joined VM on my recommendation enjoyed near as possible to 100Mb if not slightly more, ever since it was removed and made TOTALLY UNLIMITED (excluding torrents) its just gone decrepid.

I have tried everything from modem swap, cable change in the cab from a different power level and tier and nothing seems to be helping the situation.

For any of the help team to read through this my UBR is Live22 Post code area L12 and below is a screenshot taken from my routers info page. (Info in screenshots below taken Monday 15/02/2016 @ 3:09AM)

UBR Info: cpc41-live22-2-0-cust19.17-2.cable.virginm.net

Possibly check the UBR, lines, cards e.t.c. via logging into it using PuTTY?

Clipboard02ed.jpgClipboard02DWN.jpgClipboard02UP.jpgClipboard06.jpg

If you can provide me with any Issue information, network work either planned or currently in progress would be great as well as any Fault references as the foreign call centre will NOT give me any codes nor any loss of service / poor service discounts.

Thanks

Regards

Paul

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very Slow broadband - Live22 UBR - L12

This sounds exactly like the St Helens area which isn't far away from L12. We had a  Cat C re-seg in September 2014 (After 23 months) and then just 3 months later another utilisation fault was opened. Nothing has been done since then and speeds are down to 2Mb at peak time.

Each time they do a re-seg, they then roll out the latest speed increases and a new high utilisation fault is opened within months. It's a ridiculous cycle. 

I too would support downstream traffic management in areas like this as a interim solution.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi AgentP,

Apologies for the ongoing slow speed problems, from your description of things it does sound like high peak time traffic in the area is the issue here, sorry.

Checking your cable I can confirm that this is the case, with networks investigating on ref. F003497266. Upgrade work is ongoing to add capacity, with the latest estimate for an April fix date.

If you continue to get in touch periodically we'll gladly check for any news or developments.

Kind Regards

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
AgentP
Dialled in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I think that me, you and all of the VM staff would support the move to GO BACK to the old system of Service Level Thresholds as even though some dumb people out there who could not grasp their tiny little minds rounds its concept and how it works will probably moan incessantly about the issue but i think that they are in the minority compared to the rest.

Maybe a petition is in order and get everyone to rally the troops?

The only reason why i am so big on this is because each of the cables between the Slave cabs, the masters can hold so much bandwidth.... yea VM may be upgrading and adding further bandwidth between master's and slave cabs but it still does NOT solve the CORE network problem....take your mind back to when the Service Level Thresholds (SLT for short) were there, i was consistantly hitting full speed and then being reduced as i had maxed out my "quota" but did it bother me......NO.....WHY?? Simple.....i was getting what i signed up for and it was CONSISTANT even at the REDUCED rate it was CONSISTANT can you see a pattern forming here? It just seems now to be a lot more SPORADIC now with the way the network is being managed (maybe mis-managed??) and to be honest i think someone who is responsible for this should have their head on the chopping block because its just harming the network and damaging the name for which Virgin stands for (Virgin brand is rented from Mr Branson by NTL:Telewest now LibertyGlobal UK for a minimum term of 30 yrs if i remember what i heard back in 2008)

Sure there is other projects around the country such as building new networks to areas that want it e.g. cable my street e.t.c but you have to maintain your revenue flow and thats only going to happen if you keep the existing happy, if you dont then things start to grind to a halt.

So i plead with Ralph_R and the rest of the forum moderators, management and team leaders e.t.c.

PLEASE BRING BACK SERVICE LEVEL THRESHOLDS!!

0 Kudos
AgentP
Dialled in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Clipboard03.jpg

These are some anime i downloaded which i do on a regular basis and as you can see this is how bad it is, if i download these same files say at 3-6am in the morning these avg figures would be saying around 1 - 4Mbps NOT Kb/s

These files were downloaded at around 8-9pm on 23/02/2016

0 Kudos
AgentP
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Roll on a few months later and some improvements have been made and the service did improve but as usual it has now gradually gone worse once more.

Think the strangest thing is that my IP address has changed since i rebooted my modem/router and now my UBR (area) in which i am/WAS connected to has now CHANGED as i am sure i use to be connected to UBR22 (area 22) but now my IP address info (you can find out your info here: http://www.infobyip.com/ or http://ipinfo.io/) has changed from a 77.* IP address beginning to a 86.* beginning and my UBR (Area) is now being reported as UBR30 (Area 30) which i dont think i have heard of before? New area been created perhaps?

Speed tests from Manchester Virgin Media server: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5883137961

Speed tests from Nottingham Virgin Media server: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5883137961

Speed tests from Luton Virgin Media server: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5883135855

Private server Milton Keynes (Uno Web Services): http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5883133780
All carried out between 9:20PM-10PM on 15/12/2016

Its getting so bad now that my O2 4G is about 3x faster than my home broadband? EVEN AT PEAK TIMES!! (see pics belowSmiley Happy

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2464329997

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2464362842

Not only this but its struggling to even load on the most simplest pages on the planet in terms of the front page and whats on there: GOOGLE.co.uk!

Can you please tell me if i am suffering from the same as the people from L15 are with High Utilisation yet again or whether this is different as just numbering or putting me on a newly created UBR (area) isn't working?

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to let you know, UBRs and Areas are different things. I'm on Know12 (Knowsley UBR 12) but my Area is Area 01, which covers parts of North West England that were originally served by Telewest. I think some (or all) of Liverpool comes under Area 01 too.

0 Kudos
AgentP
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yea, i know i think i wrote it kinda incorrectly as i should have described it as the area which the ubr serves as everyone in merseyside e.g. liverpool whom was part of the telewest network are indeed Area 01. What i was implying is that my UBR (Universal Broadband Router - Big old router which connects all the homes in one section of the network for those that don't know) has been CHANGED as i am pretty sure i was on either UBR21 or UBR22 but for some reason i am now on UBR30 and my IP address has completly changed as it use to be in a particular range e.g. 77.97.*.* but its now 86.8.*.* ?? which is more what BT-line'd broadband tends to have?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi AgentP,

You are actually quite correct. Your Hub was connected to live-cmts-22 up until 29th November, whereupon your Hub was moved to a new CMTS as part of the remedial work aimed at alleviating capacity issues.

However, peak time traffic, though reduced, is still an issue it seems. Fault ref: F004925735 has already been raised and has a review date set for 08/02/2017. I should make the point that that date indicates a review of the current situation, with a view to moving forwards towards further upgrade works, and is not an estimated fix date. 

I have sent your details over to a team who will provide further updates on this, on or around the given review date, and who will also ensure that you are fully informed on your credit options. 

Really sorry that this peak time speed issue still affects you, albeit on a different CMTS, but we shall get this resolved in time.

All the best,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos