Message 1 of 39
Flag for a moderator

VPN speed really slow

Speed

Wired 104.29

WIFI 27.75

Wired with VPN (two different ones) 19.85

WIFI with VPN 12.61

Virgin say that they are delivering what they promised but I need to use WIFI & a VPN - with BT I was getting about 30mps with WIFI & VPN from a promised 40mps

Do Virgin throttle speeds of people using VPNs

Also I have been with Virgin for just over 2 weeks & have had to phone nearly every day. Can I cancel without being penalised

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Euphoriiaa
Tuning in
Message 11 of 39
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VPN speed really slow

First issue, your wifi speed, it looks like you're getting the promised speed via wire which means you may have to configure your router to allow higher speed across wifi, log into your router by entering the IP address of 192.168.0.1 into your internet browser, the password will be "changeme" by default then proceed to "Advanced Settings" followed by "Wireless Radio" you can then change the 2g channel to a maximum of 300mbps and the 5g channel to 450mbps. After i done this my speed over wifi upped from 20mbps to 70mbps on the 2g channel and from 40mbps to 150mbps on 5g.

Now the second issue, your VPN, Often VPN suppliers limit your bandwidth to allow their servers to distribute a fair and even speed across all users, they also use traffic control, which means if their servers get congested your speed will be impacted from a set time frame they normally have a 30/50/70% traffic control rule, which means your speed could be slowed by 70% at a given time, you may find it works better if you open specific ports to your VPN you will have to get these port numbers from your VPN supplier, you may also find it helpful to completely disable the firewall on your Super Hub, since your VPN will already be doing that you dont really need it enabled on your router.

Unfortunately, Virgin Media are doing everything they're supposed to be doing they are delivering a promised speed as you said you was getting 104mbps down wire, your VPN is your responsibility in their eyes, so unless they breach contract on their behalf im afraid you're locked in.

Hope this is of any help.

All Replies
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 39
Flag for a moderator

What type of VPN is it?

What super hub do you have?

Put the super hub in modem mode see what speed you get then with a VPN.

If your getting slow speed by wireless without a VPN then its going to have a greater impact on VPN speed over wireless so you need better wireless gear.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 39
Flag for a moderator

No VPN throttling that I am aware of.

Wired speed test without VPN:

Wired with Zenmate VPN still gives me full speed:

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 39
Flag for a moderator

SCA1972 wrote:

Zenmate is over TCP port 443 so your only testing that.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 39
Flag for a moderator

legacy1 wrote:

SCA1972 wrote:

Zenmate is over TCP port 443 so your only testing that.

OK the previous test was using the web proxy, so tried again using the Zenmate VPN client and speed is indeed much lower:

Does look like throttling.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
gedor99
Joining in
Message 6 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I have the latest hub as I have only just signed up to Virgin

I have tried 2 different VPN's

AirVPN & HMA

Both go down from just over 100 to about 16 to 17

No problem with either of these VPN's at work or at a friends

Before I was with BT - 40mps - I got about 30 Wifi attached to a VPN

So getting 12 with Virgin when I'm paying for 100 is dreadful

Would buying a decent router make a difference or is Virgin throttling some VPNs

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Testing with different VPN end points in other countries gets better results.

Germany:

Netherlands:

USA:

0 Kudos
gedor99
Joining in
Message 8 of 39
Flag for a moderator

What spped do you get when not connected to a VPN

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 39
Flag for a moderator

gedor99 wrote:

What spped do you get when not connected to a VPN

I get my full 200Mbps. See my first post on this thread for the Speedtest.net results.

0 Kudos
gedor99
Joining in
Message 10 of 39
Flag for a moderator

So any idea why my speed drops so much - do you think buying my own router
My wifi speed is not good enough
I only get about 25 to 30
When I go to a friends who has Virgin paying for 50mps I get about 45 wifi

Virgins response is that they cannot guarantee Wifi speed or what speed I get when using a VPN

So Wifi with a VPN is 12.61mps - what can I do to ncrease this speed
0 Kudos