Menu
fysmd
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

VM used to be fast

I've been a happy VM broadband customer for many years now and have hosted a samknows box for a number of years.   I've been increasingly frustrated with slow downloads and thought I'd review the (independent) data from SamKnows.

VMgettingMUCHworse.png

You can see that performance is getting much worse as time progresses, the distribution of line speed tests has fallen VERY significantly.

Anybody from VM care to comment (or fix it in the heckmondwike areaSmiley Wink ?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM used to be fast

Hi fysmd

Thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear of the slow speeds you've been experiencing recently. We'll certainly take a look into this. I've run some checks on your connection and everything looks ok with the hub. Peak time traffic climbs when checking your network segment but is below the thresholds. 

Are you testing your speeds wired or wireless? I noticed that you are using the hub in modem mode, is there any difference in the results if you are connected directly to the hub?

Speak soon 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
fysmd
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

As I posted, it's a Sam knows box. It's cabled directly between my firewall and lan. Your (not) superhub is in Bridge mode. This has not changed but as the image clearly shows, the distribution of test results took a very poor turn for the worse.

Samknows publish their test methodology openly and their software will only test when my line is inactive, tests at all sorts of time of day etc.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi there fysmd,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I've taken another look at the network and as the traffic is above our thresholds, I have raised this across to our networks team for more investigation.

Once I have more information I will let you know.

Will speak to you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
fysmd
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam.
Thanks for getting back to me. I look forward to things improving again.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Afternoon fysmd,

Thanks for the reply.

In regards to the high peak time traffic fault that I raised, the reference number is F005036025 and has a review date of 28th June.

To discuss this further I have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner).

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
fysmd
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

28 June will be almost exactly one year since the issue began.

I'm struggling to find the words.
To put into some context though, I will have spent approx £1200 on Virgin service between the fault starting and the proposed time it might get reviewed.
I'll be reconsidering this.

Wow! June.
0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

fysmd wrote:
28 June will be almost exactly one year since the issue began.

I'm struggling to find the words.
To put into some context though, I will have spent approx £1200 on Virgin service between the fault starting and the proposed time it might get reviewed.
I'll be reconsidering this.

Wow! June.

If VM are 100% at fault, utilisation (over subscribing) is their problem, then make a formal complaint with VM, after 8 weeks if its not resolved take it to CISAS, follow my simple guide to make it easier.

You can, if you provide enough evidence to CISAS you can get up to, if not more than 50% of your BB costs.

Hit them in their pocket not yours.

Also, TBH, the more that complain paints a picture to CISAS, and in turn OFCOM might get involved, it might be a small percentage, but its a big enough percentage to make heads turn.

Don't procrastinate, go and do it.

Good luck

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
fysmd
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

30Mbps now, for the last few days - faster at daft o'clock at night but REALLY!??

This is just ludicrous Virgin.  Do you honestly expect me to keep paying for this utter mess you call a network?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hey fysmd,

Thanks for getting back in touch Smiley Happy

I completely appreciate this fault is frustrating and if there was something else I could do to help, I would certainly do so. We'll need to wait until the fault is reviewed for more info, but in the mean time, I'm grateful for your patience.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos