Menu
alanplayford
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VM Superhub goes into inexplicable slowdown

Had the Superhub for many months, possibly over a year, and seen my Big Kahuna maximum broadband speeds steadily increased over that time.

Previously, the superhub has performed admirably, but then came upgrade from 160 to 200 Mbps available line speed, and some (related or unrelated?) work in local area.

Last few weeks, the connected devices showed regular (every few days) sudden unexplained major slowdown in Internet speeds. speedtest.net showed that download speeds had gone from around 200 Mbps to 0.10 Mbps!! Upload remained slow as always and expected, but was down from 10 Mbps to about 3 Mbps.

So, gone from download/upload of 200/10 Mbps to 0.10/3 Mbps!

Only solution is to reboot the superhub, which takes several minutes to kick everything back to normal and get both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi back and available. Then speedtest.net shows once again 200Mbps or even more on occasions?

I have a PC directly connected via RJ45 (wired), and several devices (printers, laptop, iPads, phones) using either of the 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi as applicable. Prefer 5 GHz for the range and speed, but not always possible.

Anybody have suggestions for what could now be going wrong? Also, how do I know what superhub version I'm running with? I could post stats as others have done if needed, but have kept this simple for now.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Superhub goes into inexplicable slowdown

Hi Alan,

Superhub version should be on the printed label on the base of the hub.

Yes, it would be helpful if you could post Upstream / Downstream stats ... just enter 192.168.0.1 in your browser to access, DO NOT sign in, simply click on Router Status.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
alanplayford
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Dave, for quick reply.

Just out on the road now, so will look at this on return in a couple of days.
0 Kudos
alanplayford
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Dave,

Apologies for not having responded before this.

All went on hold a bit because VM wanted to send me a replacement Superhub (v3.0) which they were surprised wasn't sent to me earlier when my Broadband speed went up to 200Mbps?!

Now arrived, installed, configured, and I'll monitor the situation, posting those details here if it still becomes necessary?

For the record, the WiFi signal range on this new Superhub 3.0 doesn't seem as good as the previous (v.2ac which had separate 2.4 and 5.0 Ghz channels rather than the new one's single combined SSID and which thus had 2 separate SSID's. Also the new password restrictions also meant that I had to change the longer but simpler password that I had in place from before, so the transition hasn't been without its problems? Means I have had to reset all the WiFi devices up again to use the new SSID and password - and that can be a right royal pain (digging out old manuals, researching for them online etc!!)

Watch this space!

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Nice to hear from you Alan.  I'm just a customer like you but I do find these issues and hopefully their resolution rather fascinating.  I'm subscribed to this thread so I'll continue to keep a keen interest.  I've never seen a Hub 3 let alone used one so I am surprised that you say you can't have separate SSID's ... surely that can't be right?

Good luck with the new setup and I will indeed 'watch this space'.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos