Menu
senzer
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VM CUSTOMER SERVICE LYING - AWFUL SPEEDS FOR AGES

Hello

My internet speed has been intermittently slow for a few months. However, for at least the past two weeks I am receiving DIAL UP SPEEDS.

VM Support initially admitted then denied there was a problem on the first phone call, second phone call they initially denied then admitted there was a 'fault' which would be 'fixed in January'.

VM Support also said I will receive a refund due to the poor service, however the amount is down to the 'billing department'.

I'm using a motorola SB 4200 from the Blueyonder days. I don't need WiFi and am not keen to get a virgin media 'hub' as I have heard these are bloody awful.

I checked the 'service info' bit where it mentions outages, and surprise surprise, SW19 does not appear.

Also, I work as a carer in another house in SW19 about 10 minutes walk from here. The internet there is fine.

So what's going on? After a very long time on this ISP (and it's various iterations) I'm very keen to leave because the customer service is awful (they kept asking me to restart my modem, change my ethernet cable round etc... hilarious).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM CUSTOMER SERVICE LYING - AWFUL SPEEDS FOR AGES

senzer wrote:

Hello

My internet speed has been intermittently slow for a few months. However, for at least the past two weeks I am receiving DIAL UP SPEEDS.

VM Support initially admitted then denied there was a problem on the first phone call, second phone call they initially denied then admitted there was a 'fault' which would be 'fixed in January'.

VM Support also said I will receive a refund due to the poor service, however the amount is down to the 'billing department'.

I'm using a motorola SB 4200 from the Blueyonder days. I don't need WiFi and am not keen to get a virgin media 'hub' as I have heard these are bloody awful.

DING DING DING DING<- Theres your problem right there...

I checked the 'service info' bit where it mentions outages, and surprise surprise, SW19 does not appear.

Also, I work as a carer in another house in SW19 about 10 minutes walk from here. The internet there is fine.

So what's going on? After a very long time on this ISP (and it's various iterations) I'm very keen to leave because the customer service is awful (they kept asking me to restart my modem, change my ethernet cable round etc... hilarious).

You are using legacy equipment. No way your speeds are going to be what they could be. If CSC have already said there is an overutilisation issue (which from the fairly vague details I guess is the case) you are also entitled to a service credit. But get your modem replaced. Its likely to be free.

0 Kudos
senzer
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

edRe: VM CUSTOMER SERVICE LYING - AWFUL SPEEDS FOR AGES

Legacy equipment that has provided a 20 meg service.

Why has it suddenly got so poor?

Why must I replace my equipment, if the service I am receiving is still going to be under 1mpbs?

Why do VM tell me there is a problem in the area, but 10 minutes walk away it's fine?

Why doesn't the problem appear on the VM site?

Why do I have to talk to people in India who are just reading a script and have 0 technical know-how?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: edRe: VM CUSTOMER SERVICE LYING - AWFUL SPEEDS FOR AGES

senzer wrote:

Legacy equipment that has provided a 20 meg service.

?

Why has it suddenly got so poor?

Because that equipment can only lock a limited number of frequencies and only one downstream channel. It is MORE adversely affected by overutilisation than more modern equipment that can lock more channels across more frequencies.

Why must I replace my equipment, if the service I am receiving is still going to be under 1mpbs?

You dont. Keep your equipment and work away. But your speeds wiill not improve for the foreseeable. You mention wanting to leave. You'll have to change the equipment anyway if you leave.

Why do VM tell me there is a problem in the area, but 10 minutes walk away it's fine?

Because overutilisation affects the node your on, not a geographic area.

Why doesn't the problem appear on the VM site?

Because the site DOES report AREA problems not ones on your node. Its not granular enough IMHO.

Why do I have to talk to people in India who are just reading a script and have 0 technical know-how?

Because VM believe thats good enough. So wont pay out for better training for their beleaguered off shore call center staff.

0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: edRe: VM CUSTOMER SERVICE LYING - AWFUL SPEEDS FOR AGES

senzer... I empathise with you.

I suffer from awful peak time speeds and have done for years. When I had the old legacy modem (with a separate router) it worked flawlessly at up to 20Mbps.  However times move on. Surely it is better to have the latest equipment.
Currently I have the superhub 2, it works great, that is until the network slows down to snail speed in the evenings, every evening!

kippies has given you some good feedback.

Why would you not want to receive a new hub? Yes, I have heard the new superhub 3 is poor so if possible, request a superhub 2. If you are suffering with sub 1Mbps speeds a new hub is not going to make it any worse but may slightly improve it. (well, one can hope) If you don't need or want wifi you can disable it and put the hub in modem mode.

Ring retentions, you don not have to pay for equipment to be upgraded. They may try to charge for delivery but it can be waived.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
0 Kudos