Menu
marty50
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VIVID200 issues - traffic management, or just slow speeds?

Hi,

My VIVID200 connection has been pretty poor lately - probably 2 or 3 months. Speedtests using speedtest.net have been consistently high however - generally a bit over 200Mbps (although the cynic in me wonders whether these are locally cached) - but I cannot seem to reach anywhere near that when using my FTP client, nor HTTP most of the time.

Over the weekend, I got frustrated with it and as I had some time, ended up doing some tests. I found that if I connected to the same FTP address with 4, 5 or even 6 clients (and probably more but I gave up at that stage!) each would top out, identically, at around 10MB/s each, giving me an active download speed of between 950-1500KB/s. This seemed very co-incidental... My connection didn't seem to be throttled, yet each individual data connection I made did?

For reference, these files were Debian DVD ISOs from the University of Kent mirrorservice.org FTP and the SUNET FTP archive (ftp.sunet.se). I have found that over the many years of having broadband these sites continually provide the best tests as they can be relied upon to be very fast, all of the time. I also have a 4G connection with EE. To rule out these FTP sites being slow at the time of my tests, I connected my laptop to my phone as a USB modem and downloaded the files again - I was reaching around 70MB/s from the phone, so clearly there wasn't an issue with the site bandwidth.

After some further tests (including trying these mirrors over HTTP and getting the same results) I decided to try getting the Debian ISO using bittorrent. I'm not a torrent user, so after I got the PortableApps version of uTorrent (and suffered through the horrendous adverts that seem built into it's UI!!) I got the .torrent file from debian.org and fired it up. I was expecting the same results as I saw via FTP and HTTP, right? My thought process being that given torrents are pretty much the primary source of piracy etc, if anything they'd be heavily throttled...? Nope, I was able to reach almost 10MB/s (still barely half of what the VIVID200 should give me, but that's obviously limited by the people connected via the torrent swarm in this case).

So that's left me somewhat confused. From what I read on VM's T&C's the VIVID200 should not be managed/throttled at all if you're not a heavy uploader. As far as I know, I don't upload a thing other than PHP/HTML etc files to a website and doing the odd backup to Google Drive. Anyway - you'd expect the torrent to have been throttled if my connection was being managed, so I can't see that being an issue here.

This is most of the time rather than all of the time, but it is generally when I want to actually use it (which is of course how things work according to sod's law!). Some time ago I questioned this over online chat and I was given the usual 'high capacity etc' spiel and had a bill credit, but VM did some work last Wednesday (everything was down all day in my area, we had a letter in advance to warn us) that was supposed to be helping with this.

If it was a capacity issue then I can't see me being able to see the results I did with the torrent client, nor be able to open 5+ FTP clients and see the results I did there either. Can anyone shed any light on this?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VIVID200 issues - traffic management, or just slow speeds?

You've got the "Slow HTTP Download" fault which makes single-thread download speeds very poor, but multi-thread (like speedtest.net) is unaffected.

This has been affecting some customers all year but despite the problem being raised by forum staff to the networks department, they can't find any problem. 

Have a look through http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Very-poor-HTTP-download-speed/td-p/3026879 there's 40+ pages, but ultimately we just keep hitting brick walls and have little hope of this being resolved, as Virgin Media's network team somehow can't see the very obvious fault.

All Replies
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You've got the "Slow HTTP Download" fault which makes single-thread download speeds very poor, but multi-thread (like speedtest.net) is unaffected.

This has been affecting some customers all year but despite the problem being raised by forum staff to the networks department, they can't find any problem. 

Have a look through http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Very-poor-HTTP-download-speed/td-p/3026879 there's 40+ pages, but ultimately we just keep hitting brick walls and have little hope of this being resolved, as Virgin Media's network team somehow can't see the very obvious fault.

marty50
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, cje85.

Not sure what to make of this then! That thread does describe the exact problem... presumably I have little choice other than to wait for a fix or jump ship to BT when my contract is up.

I'll keep an eye on the other topic until then Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi marty50,

Sorry for your reduced single stream transfer rates.

Cje85 is correct, you are affected by the issue referenced in his post. I can see no immediately pending plans for a network upgrade, which would resolve this, so you may have to wait a little while for the 'fix' I'm sorry.

If you'd like me to check for you again at any point, just post a request on here. 

All the best,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

marty50 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, cje85.

Not sure what to make of this then! That thread does describe the exact problem... presumably I have little choice other than to wait for a fix or jump ship to BT when my contract is up.

I'll keep an eye on the other topic until then Smiley Happy

Nope, not true, if it's a known issue that can not be fixed in a timely manner you can leave without penalty, if they say you cannot then complain and after 8 weeks report them to CISAS and claim compensation, then leave as they cannot stop you. Helpful link:

How to Complain to CISAS

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
marty50
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jen_A. Obviously disappointing - especially considering it was fine for probably the first 18 months of my initial contract term - but I suppose things will change as and when VM get around to it rather than when I ask for it!

Also, thanks Bartman007 - I'll consider it but with me being so close to the contract's end I'll probably end up just finishing it up.

0 Kudos
alfredwellesly
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos