Menu
rich1210
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VIVID Gamer Slow DL Speed

Been with Virgin just over a week now, signed up to the Vivid 200 Gamer package and so far its been nothing short of pathetic.

Speed test @ 7am - 180-200Mbps - all good

speed test between 4pm and 11pm - anything from 3 to 8 Mbps from a 200Mb connection!

upload speed is 20Mbps regardless of time of day.

i'm sorry but to be only getting 1.5% to 4% of the advertised speed is unacceptable!

0 Kudos
eggfriedcheese
Dialled in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: VIVID Gamer Slow DL Speed

Hey rich1210,

This sounds like an unfortunate case of High utilisation in the area. The best way of explaining this, is that the network can support 'x' number of users, and there are more than 'x' currently using it, so the network can't handle the usage.

High utilisation is extremely complicated, in that it takes a long time to upgrade the network in the areas, as our networks (if you've seen a local exchange, you know what I'm talking about) are very complicated, and isn't unfortunately a case of just swapping a couple of cables.

If you're looking on the Service Status page on my.virginmedia.com, does this give any outage information? Would be worth posting the fault reference if so, so that the forum teams can investigate it quicker for you.

If this is High utilisation then you would be entitled to a month by month credit whilst the issue is ongoing. You can discuss this with the technical teams, by calling 0345 454 1111 or 150 from a virgin media landline.

Let us know whether this is a fault viewable on service status, and the forum teams may be able to give you a bit more info to possibly help (however, if it is utilisation, there isn't an awful lot that can be done unfortunately).
Dan
Views expressed are solely my own, and do not reflect on Virgin Media directly
If however you feel that my answer is helpful or informative, please click the kudos button below!
0 Kudos
rich1210
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Well I have spoken with the technical team.... total waste of my time!
only interested in telling me that 2g mode was disabled on my router,
"I know it is I disabled it! I've run speed tests via Ethernet so I've not got a wifi issue... "
"yes sir but 2g mode is disabled on your router..... "
"I know, I disabled it..... etc etc"

Got fobbed off with the high utilisation blah blah blah.
Told a date around the end of March... I won't be holding my breath!

My real annoyance with this is once you finally get through the automated nonsense they know exactly who and where are effected by overloading (let's call it what it is) yet they continue to push 200Mb services via infrastructure that can only deliver 5Mb, I am amazed trading standards have not been all over them, as a company director I cannot promise a client a level of service if I know I can only furfill around 5-10% of what was promised!

I would say I was around a 5/10 as far as anger towards VM prior to speaking with the technical team, I'm simmering around an 8/10 now!!!

What is the next step here people??!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

CISAS

The march date will just be a review date even though phone staff call them fix dates.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

rich1210 wrote:

Been with Virgin just over a week now, signed up to the Vivid 200 Gamer package and so far its been nothing short of pathetic.

Speed test @ 7am - 180-200Mbps - all good

speed test between 4pm and 11pm - anything from 3 to 8 Mbps from a 200Mb connection!

upload speed is 20Mbps regardless of time of day.

i'm sorry but to be only getting 1.5% to 4% of the advertised speed is unacceptable!

If I was you run, run as fast as you can to cancel your contract, if you are in an oversubscribed area it will take years for VM to put their hand in their pockets, they will blame the councils first for planning permission. You don't need a 14 day cooling period, they broke their side of the contract, and get them to pay for your previous ISP to be installed back as you are out of pocket, they have a legal duty of care to provide you with your contracted speed, they have failed.

• You need to cancel ASAP. (14 days cooling period does not apply in proven oversubscribed areas)
  • You need to complain using their procedure : Complaints Code Of Practice.
  • After 8 Weeks take it up with VM's regulator CISAS.
  • Request with the CISAS complaint that you want to be fully reimbursed for all costs and time, including reconnecting you to your previous working ISP (you can get a max of £10k) and a written apology to rub it in.
  • You don't need to be in contract with VM to do all this.

If more people do this VM with get a hefty fine for not treating their customers by the rules, a bit like what happened to EE.

Quote from OFCOM: Codes of practice

Under the voluntary code of practice on broadband speeds, Internet Service Providers (ISPs) agree to give clear information on broadband speeds to consumers when they consider or buy a home broadband service, and to provide redress when speeds performance is poor. Ofcom and ISPs have agreed a revised code which came into effect on 1st October 2015.

Links to the revised code, and a plain English guide for consumers are provided below.

List A shows those ISPs who have confirmed that they have now implemented and are signed up to the 2015 Code. ISPs who have signed up have agreed to abide by the principles and spirit of the Code. This does not guarantee compliance but we expect signatories to commit to honour the letter and spirit of the Code. We will monitor compliance with the Code using measures such as ongoing mystery shopping.

List B below shows those ISPs who informed us, at the time of implementation of the revised 2015 voluntary Code of Practice or at a later stage, that they want to sign up to the Code once they are compliant with the requirements.

If you are an ISP and would like to sign up to the voluntary 2015 Code of Practice, please email Celia.Pontin@ofcom.org.uk

List A

• BT
  • Sky
  • Virgin Media
  • KC
  • EE
  • Talk Talk
  • Vodafone
  • Zen Internet

List B

• Hyperoptic
  • Plusnet
  • InTouch Systems
  • The Co-op
  • Post Office

So VM have actually broken that code with their sales team, and OFCOM will be told Via CISAS, we need more people to make official complaints as soon as.

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
rich1210
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cancelled!

Going back to BT ASAP