Menu
teknotel
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VIVID 300 Broadband Random Speeds

Moved into my new place and had virgin superfast 300 installed.

Technician showed me 250mb down on speedtest and said it will adjust over the next few days and I will get maximum speed soon.

Moved in 3 days later, my Samsung 8+ phone clocked 254MB down on speedtest. Im fine with this.

However after setting up my PC and my powerline adaptors, I could only get maximum 90MB down on my PC. I have a external gigabyte ethernet adaptor so thats not the issue. My powerlines can handle 500mb down so that shouldnt be the issue either.

I tried restarting router but it literally took 15 mins and then I just got the same speeds.

The weird thing is that since this happened I can no longer get high speeds on my phone like I initially did. That is now not going over 90MB either...

I am really not sure what to do, anyone have any advice. I do not see the point in calling up tech support as its in India and from experience I can say trying to diagnose or fix anything that is not obvious with a call centre in India is incredibly painful and usually pointless.

Thank you for any help.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: VIVID 300 Broadband Random Speeds

What Make of Powerline adapters are they?

Have they got gigabit Ethernet ports?

I would bear in mind mind that powerline adapters usually get around 15 to 25% of theoretical advertised speed due to the way they work and other factors like how noisy your electrical mains are.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear about the trouble experienced teknotel,

I've located your details and everything from this end appears to be within range at the moment.

Have things since improved for you at all?

Speak soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
teknotel
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

So I am just using a direct ethernet cable now, but I cant get faster then 200mb. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
teknotel
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I realized powerlines are junk...

I had ones that were limited to 100MB ethernet ports (even though they advertised as 500MB), I actually was getting 90MB out of them which is pretty decent.

I went and spent £100 on new ones with gigabit ethernet ports. They got 40 MB max lol. I asked on some networking forums and apparantly they very unpredictable and depend on your homes wiring. These ones worked on a different frequency or something which meant they were in fact worse for my home then my old ones....

I  just bought a massive ethernet cable, but sadly I cannot seem to get a speedtest back over 210MB Smiley Sad

I have to say as well, it almost feels like Virgin technical support is hidden. There is no option to actually talk to an advosr about this issue. I did speak to someone before who was very helpful, however I had to go through different options to actually get there.

0 Kudos