Menu
lucky-blighter
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

VIVID 200 Optical Fibre Up to 200 Mbps Unlimited acceptable speed?

VIVID 200 Optical Fibre Up to 200 Mbps Unlimited

Hi - first post here.

What would you consider to be acceptable broadband speeds on the above package?

Grateful for your advice.

We've had VIVID 200 for a few months now but not getting the great broadband speeds we were hoping for in our household. Here's the Speedtest I did just now:

Speedtest.net by Ookla   The Global Broadband Speed Test.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: VIVID 200 Optical Fibre Up to 200 Mbps Unlimited acceptable speed?

How are you connecting wired or wirelessly?

If wireless, try wired directly to the hub with a Cat 5e cable or better with a device equiped with a gigabit ethernet network card.

0 Kudos
lucky-blighter
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi. We're mostly wireless: running son's XBox straight from Superhub (wired directly via ethernet cable as hub is located in his room) as well as laptop, 2 x PCs, 1 x iPad and mobiles on wireless. I thought that a faster connection should be able to cope with all the extra traffic and the reason his XBox is wired in is because he was experiencing "lag" on lower connection but speeds aren't always great even without son on XBox!. Superhub was previously located downstairs but VM engineer persuaded us to have a new connection drilled in from outside so that the Superhub would be located upstairs for better transmission. If I connect laptop directly to Superhub via ethernet cable I do get a faster speed but most of my work is on PC in another room so cannot connect that directly (I believe the PC has a Qualcomm Atheros AR938x wireless network adapter). Am I expecting too much for a family of four to be able to use various different devices at different times of day?
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The 200Mbps package is the total bandwidth available which is shared by all connected users, so the more devices connected the slower the network will become. So, the first step would be to test the internet connection with a single device wired directly to the device, What speed did you get with the laptop wired in? Does the laptop have a gigabit ethernet card?. (the port light next to the ethernet cable on the hub will lit up green).

If you cannot get full speed then you may have a technical problem, (posting the hub's power levels and network log would give more info ) or if the slowdowns only happen during the evening then your local network segment maybe congested. VM can check the network segment when they pick up this thead in a few days. Is the Xbox currently experiencing problems when connected wired?

Wireless has it's own set of problems. Wireless speeds are affected by a myriad of external factors like range, client hardware capabilities, the topography of your house and interference from other wireless networks and household appliances. I would bear in mind that wireless can only transmit to one device at a time (currently), so each device connected wirelessly will be sharing airtime, again the more devices connected, the slower the network gets. You can share the load by connecting slower devices to the 2.4GHz band and the faster ones to the 5Ghz bands, You may not see much benefit with this if you do not have many devices connected at the same time wirelessly.

Firstly I would ensure the hub is placed in a clear, central position, free from obstacles and electrical appliances. Unsure why the tech placed the hub in an upstairs for better transmission, unless most of your wireles clients are situated upstairs as wireless propagates predominantly in a horizontal direction and is a bit weaker vertically.

Client hardware plays a bit part as there can vary in their capabilities. Some wireless cards are single stream and are only capable of around 40Mbps. Some iPad test results here. The Qualcomm Atheros AR938x is a 3x3 (capable of 3 wireless streams) wireless adapter and should be capable of 200Mbps at close range on the 5Ghz band with the hub set at 450Mbps mode using WPA2 with AES encryption  in a clean wireless environment. However, obstructions like walls and furniture will reduce the signal strengths which would slow down the connection.

Wireless interference is a big wifi speed killer, as interference from neighbouring networks and household appliances like a\v streaming devices, baby monitors, chordless phones, microwave ovens etc. can adversly affect your wireless signal. Changing wreless channels can help mitigate interference, especially on the narrow 2,4Ghz band which can get quite congested nowadays. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer would help.

In summary, 80Mbps is a decent wireless speed and should not restrict internet use. Using the 5Ghz band usually provides the best wireless speeds as it is wider and generally less congested (at present). The less congested nature of the 5Ghz band facilitates the use of channel bonding (300Mbps, 450Mbps modes) which is not generally productive on the narrow 2.4Ghz band. I would also enable the Greenfield mode on the hub to disable support for legacy wireless a,b, g devices, provided you are not using these older devices on your network. Using legacy devices on your network will slow down the whole network.

lucky-blighter
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your helpful post griffin and apologies for delayed response (been away).

Just did a wired ethernet direct to laptop speed test and came out as 206.62 mb/s download speed and 12.23 upload speed (I know...what am I worrying about?!) with only laptop connected to router. My problems do seem to be wifi-related.

What you say about horizontal transmission of wifi is interesting - most of our gadgets are upstairs so perhaps this is why the router was located there.

I have the newer Virgin Media superhub and used InSSIDer to detect the best channel when setting up the superhub.

I suspect that we need an engineer to take a look at our setup and to give advice on how to get the best from our wifi connection as something must be blocking the decent speed we were hoping for. Will look into it.

0 Kudos
Rjk2
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I personally have had trouble with Virgin since it was installed on the 14th of February, we have had a disjointed connection cutting off whenever it feels like, the best we get fom our supposed 200mbps is 50mbps and upload speed of 10.

We are still having them out again and again and if not sorted in the next week then its gone, They have blamed it on a virus (what on all our equipment??) , Then it was all our equipment being more than a year old doesn't pick up anymore than 50mbps ???, The excuses have been awful, the whole service was bad when it was put in, the engineer left it all so shabby that they had to come back and tidy up and change all the connections, the box on the wall was hanging off, even my Tevo box which is the second in the line is all pixelated unless you use the HD channels.

We were told when we rang up to get the whole system put in that we would get the whole package all around the house, the signal would be great and being the top package we would be able to get the top signal anywhere in the house, I am no further than 10 yards from the box and only get half signal (when its working). 

They have one more go or its all going back, Never had such a bad service as this, and never been treated so poorly as though we are thickos and know nothing. We will wait and see what happens tomorrow.

0 Kudos
stuboyz
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Same problem here.  Paying for Vivid200; getting Dull50!

Testing using a powerline adaptor, so expecting closer to 200 than to 20!

In fact, looking at testing history I don't seem to have ever been close to 100, let alone 200.  While my neighbour, who has the 100Mbit package gets about 105, wirelessly.

Not happy with VIrgin ATM; was considering a V6 Tivo, but not now.....

0 Kudos
kylaok
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

speed1.jpg

Doing better than i am for speed

0 Kudos
Rjk2
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Mine does this on many occasions, just goes from about an average of 36 and cuts right out or goes down to about 10mbps. I was with Talk talk for 15 years and never had any trouble, unfortunately they let me down twice when I moved and still didn't get my line in so I went with virgin, what a big mistake , nothing but crap from the start and just one lie after another from them. They have one week to fix both broadband and Tevo connection or they can have the whole lot back. Still within my 30 days.
0 Kudos
pcov76
Dialled in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

lucky-blighter wrote:

VIVID 200 Optical Fibre Up to 200 Mbps Unlimited

Hi - first post here.

What would you consider to be acceptable broadband speeds on the above package?

Grateful for your advice.

We've had VIVID 200 for a few months now but not getting the great broadband speeds we were hoping for in our household. Here's the Speedtest I did just now:

Speedtest.net by Ookla   The Global Broadband Speed Test.png

I would connect directly to the hub with an Ethernet cable and run some tests. VM say they Guarantee the speeds only via this method. I couldn't get anywhere near 200mbps and I was told the problem was in the street, I had the choice to wait and see if it could be fixed or to leave, I left. 

So that's the best way to go. I was told the V6 box needed 100mbps and over to work right - so they must be trying to guarantee the speed, yet mine worked on 50mbps most days. 

0 Kudos