Menu
Danzelfly
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Utterly abysmal internet speeds.

Hi,

I'm currently on 100Mbps VIVID & achieve these speeds during the day (10am-4pm) and between midnight & 6am however, outside of these time frames my speeds are dropping down anywhere between 0.5Mbps-6.5Mbps (when using speedtest) on a wired connection (Ethernet directly between desktop/modem).

I've been in touch with Virgin on the phone 3 times already in the hope of getting this resolved, the first call fobbed me off with the standard "Reset your router.. I'm changing some hub wifi settings on my end... Reboot everything in 10 mins after hanging up" -- which I went along with because, hey, who knows, this could solve it.

However, my issue was left unresolved so I rang back to somebody even less helpful telling me my area is oversubscribed & that I will just "have to deal" with having poor internet speeds; now this annoyed me as you can imagine -- why should I be paying through the nose for a product I am most definitely not receiving? And then have the support team shrug as though it's normal practice & I should swallow the cost.

Fast forward a couple of weeks to this week & I'm getting the exact same issue & the phone help desk was just as useful as before.

So I guess TL;DR,

Why is my speed *so* slow? (Is it simply over-subscription?)

When can I expect for this to be resolved, if at all?

If it isn't resolved in a reasonable time frame, where can I cancel?

Looking forward to hearing from a member of Virgin about this issue,

Dan

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Utterly abysmal internet speeds.

Hello Danzelfly,

Thanks for joining the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the connection trouble you're having, I appreciate this is frustrating. Checking the network in your area, I'm sorry to confirm that we are working on a fault. The reference is: F004144676 and it's due for review on the 31st Aug. I know this isn't the news you're hoping for, please accept my sincere apologies and let me know if you've got any other questions.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The will not have anything fixed by or on the 31st Aug, this date will no doubt be pushed forward many many times even into years!!! this not an uncommon practice with these scumbags.

0 Kudos
TimR
Up to speed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, Andy is right, VM's times for fault reported to diagnosis to fixed normally runs into the years.  There's many threads on the boards on VM's practice of signing new customers up onto over subscribed areas that just makes it worse for all ( except VM's bank account of course ).

I can only advise, cancel whilst you have a chance and jump ship, you will be pleased you did.

Chinchin...

Struggling VM BB [Over Utilisation Fault, Fix date 17th November 2135 ]
VM Telephone
Sky Q UHD Multiscreen
0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My 2 Years and 4 Months old F Number is due up for review tomorrow. Peak time speeds are still circling the drain, and I'm expecting one of the following:

1: "Sorry. Your new review date is (The book is open on this one. The odds on favourite is sometime in 2018.) blah, blah, blah."

2: "F'743 has been closed as resolved, but I can see that you are now affected by F..... for over utilisation. (Or what ever they are calling it this week.)."

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
salamat
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well, someone from the CEO's office, today, told me that our 12th April date is now 31/5/17! Evidently having a CISAS complaint going through didn't add the pressure to get the date kept!

The battle continues!

pete7049 wrote:

My 2 Years and 4 Months old F Number is due up for review tomorrow. Peak time speeds are still circling the drain, and I'm expecting one of the following:

1: "Sorry. Your new review date is (The book is open on this one. The odds on favourite is sometime in 2018.) blah, blah, blah."

2: "F'743 has been closed as resolved, but I can see that you are now affected by F..... for over utilisation. (Or what ever they are calling it this week.)."

Danzelfly
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the responses everyone.

Now you have confirmed that there is a "review" date rather than a fix date for my issue I will be cancelling, cheers!