Menu
CCole1
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Useless Internet Connection

I am a university student living in a student house with 5 others. I was with virgin media last year and the service was shocking, after many many complaints they finally sorted themselves out and the speed increased. I am now living in the same house, however, the account is under a different name and low and behold, the internet connection is well below what we are paying for. Having to reset the rooter multiple times a week, every other day on average its really not practical or acceptable when everyone is trying to do their work. I spoke to Virgin before setting a contract with them about what they could offer and what would be best for 6 students doing separate work and was told that the package given would be more than enough for over 12 devices which was clearly a lie. 

I also did a broadband speed test on the WHICH website, and considering our speed is supposedly up to 200mps, which i understand the 'Up to' part of the deal, but i personally do not find a download speed of 15.62mps and an upload speed of 13mps at all acceptable for what I am paying. 

Is there anything I can do or any help I can get? 

Bearing in mind, last year when they sent out an engineer, I waited in all day instead of heading to the library, waiting. When they came, they didn't even bother knocking, a note was put through the door and they left. I don't want to have to do all of that again. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Useless Internet Connection

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

VM recommend using http://www.speedtest.net/ and selecting a VM server to test speeds.

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.

If wired off peak speeds are slow then some hub stats might help.  Go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take 7 - 10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

CCole1
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.

One housemate uses an Ethernet cable with for starters is extremely dangerous as it goes from where the wifi box is, through the hallway, down stairs and into a bedroom, which is not practical at all... my landlord however is spending more money to get this fixed which in turn he shouldn't have to do as it's virgins fault the signal is so weak, however, even with the Ethernet he still finds that his signal is on and off.

I also tried to log into both of the links you gave, one won't open at all and the other keeps crashing every time I type the password in so can't get any further than the home page. I also tried the speed test you recommended and it was actually lower than the which test I had previously tried.

Today we are experiencing the same issues with the internet, on and off, slow signal, it's just not good. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If Ethernet connections are also dropping then that does suggest a possible line or hub fault, so some hubs stats would be helpful.

With regard to the links I provided, sometimes both work and sometimes not, that is why I included both of them.  If you are typing in a password then you missed the bit where I said "Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have."  Access to the status screens should not require a password.

Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors (Thickness of walls, mirrors, fish tanks, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, a neighbour's wireless router, etc.) so it is not something VM can control or guarantee, no ISP can.  The VM hubs, like all free ISP routers, are basic devices that for some people are fine but for others not so much.  The only thing VM will suggest is trying different wireless channels, they have a guide here.

There is also a sticky post at the top of this board with good advice:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

One option to avoid long Ethernet cables is power line adapters.  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless.  Some provide just wired connections and others come with additional wireless built in to allow you to create a wireless access point in parts of the house where the wireless signal is poor.   Some powerline adapter reviews here:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/20-best-powerline-adapters-2016-uk-3490638/

Another option to improve your wireless is with a third party router.  It is what I and many other customers do and it can make a huge difference.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos