Menu
Tye
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Upload Speed on 50 Mb/s Download package

Hi,

I have been a customer with Virgin Media when originally it was Blueyonder (that is showing my age).  I have never had an issue with VM at all... Until now.

My upload speed use to be between 3-4 Mb/s (irrespective of the download speed, as VM would gradually increase the download speed).  However, now I am getting a upload speed of 0.6 Mb/s.

For TL;DR - can someone please explain to me why I am getting 0.6 Mb/s upload speed, given I live 40 miles away from a VM server hub?

What irks me is that I contacted VM twice today about it.  The first time was in the morning, and the tech guy said that I should be getting between 3-4 Mb/s upload given that I am on the 50 Mb/s package.  Diagnostics were run and he also said that maintenance was being carried out in my area and so it would be best to wait until later to run speed tests.

Much to my dismay, I tested the upload speed later and I am still getting an upload speed of 0.6 Mb/s. I contacted VM again, and another tech guy said that the upload speed is determined by the server and that VM are not responsible for the upload speeds; what I pay for is the download speed (the upload speed is a bonus).

Now, given I have a PhD, I understand that the upload speed is 10 % of the download speed = 5 Mb/s (theoretical as VM operates on a 10/100 plan).  I live 40 miles from a VM server/hub by road.  Even with the data being transferred via optics, which will impact and reduce the upload speed, I should be getting at best around 2-4 Mb/s. I should add that all tests were conducted via ethernet (not wifi) and the modem-router is the SuperHub 2.0.

I am annoyed that I have been told two different things via Tech.  I did ask to speak to a manger, but the manger was "away" when i called a second time. 

I understand a majority of people are interested only in download speed, but my work files that need uploading to the cloud are big.  What use to take an hour for a file, now takes at least 3 hours to upload.

Can someone please explain to me why I am getting 0.6 Mb/s upload speed, given I live 40 miles away from a VM server hub?  

Cheers,

Tye.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upload Speed on 50 Mb/s Download package

Tye wrote:

I did ask to speak to a manger, but the manger was "away" when i called a second time. 

I love that Christmas Carol "Away in a manger, no crib for His bed, the little Lord Jesus, lay down His sweet head"    Smiley Happy

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VM do not run a 10:1 ratio anymore, the upload speed for the 50Mbps package is 3Mbps.

The distance between you and the head end is neither here or there, it doesn't affect speed as it would with BT's ADSL technology.

Posting some basic diagnostic info may help.

Navigate to the hub's GUI using http://192.168.100.1
Don't log in, click the Router Status button in the top right of the screen.
Copy \ Paste the Downstream, Upstream, and Network Logs.

Don't worry about the formatting.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Tye wrote:

Hi,

I have been a customer with Virgin Media when originally it was Blueyonder (that is showing my age).  I have never had an issue with VM at all... Until now.

My upload speed use to be between 3-4 Mb/s (irrespective of the download speed, as VM would gradually increase the download speed).  However, now I am getting a upload speed of 0.6 Mb/s.

from memory the upload on 50 down is 3meg so something is wrong

For TL;DR - can someone please explain to me why I am getting 0.6 Mb/s upload speed, given I live 40 miles away from a VM server hub?

Distance is nothing to do with it - as said above something is wrong - post the downstream and upstream levels

What irks me is that I contacted VM twice today about it.  The first time was in the morning, and the tech guy said that I should be getting between 3-4 Mb/s upload given that I am on the 50 Mb/s package.  Diagnostics were run and he also said that maintenance was being carried out in my area and so it would be best to wait until later to run speed tests.

Much to my dismay, I tested the upload speed later and I am still getting an upload speed of 0.6 Mb/s. I contacted VM again, and another tech guy said that the upload speed is determined by the server and that VM are not responsible for the upload speeds; what I pay for is the download speed (the upload speed is a bonus).

Rubbish - i guess that was offshore

Now, given I have a PhD, I understand that the upload speed is 10 % of the download speed = 5 Mb/s (theoretical as VM operates on a 10/100 plan).  I live 40 miles from a VM server/hub by road.  Even with the data being transferred via optics, which will impact and reduce the upload speed, I should be getting at best around 2-4 Mb/s. I should add that all tests were conducted via ethernet (not wifi) and the modem-router is the SuperHub 2.0.

PhD or not you understand wrongly - VM abandoned 10:1 a long time ago - each pachage has its own upload speed but most are not 10:1

I am annoyed that I have been told two different things via Tech.  I did ask to speak to a manger, but the manger was "away" when i called a second time. 

Ring again and the story may well change - offshore is a law unto itself - put mildly they make it up as they go on - they are not worth the call - as to mangers - well ok

I understand a majority of people are interested only in download speed, but my work files that need uploading to the cloud are big.  What use to take an hour for a file, now takes at least 3 hours to upload.

Can someone please explain to me why I am getting 0.6 Mb/s upload speed, given I live 40 miles away from a VM server hub?  

so again - .6 upload is wrong - its a fault - why i dont know but as asked above post the upstream and downstream levels and we can go from there

Cheers,

Tye.

Tony
0 Kudos