Menu
Marv95
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Upload Speed - Whats going on??

Hi,

Checked my Upload Speed yesterday and today which is 0 (it doesn't actually register)

My Download Speed is just below 50 when it should be up at over 100.

The Check Service is down so I can't see if any works is causing it. PO12 2QA.

Whats going on?? 

Cheers
Mark

Helpful Answers
marko56
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Upload Speed - Whats going on??

Hi, I am in Charlesbury Avenue so in same area and also on same BB package by the sound of it. Not sure how many people in my street have Virgin but immediate neighbour is and theirs is pants also.

Just carried out a test and got 30 download and 0.00 upload.

I am expecting great things on Wednesday Smiley Wink but if it sorts me out it should also sort you and the rest of Area 20 (I won't hold my breath though).

Will keep you posted (BB permitting of course)

jedidad1410
Joining in
Message 14 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Same problem, since Friday last week. I'm in PO12 2NF. Upload speed is currently at 0.1kbs and Download at 8.5Mbs.

I saw some Virgin guys working in the cabinet at the end of our road on Saturday,

Cheers

Matt

marko56
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yep, all seems back to normal now.

The Engineer said a new cable was being installed by the middle of January. Not sure where the cable is being installed but I don't care now as all appears good again.

Thanks all for making the process more bearable by sharing your pain Smiley Very Happy

All Replies
marko56
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Judging by your postcode I am just around the corner from you and I have been having exactly the same issues. I spent ages on the phone last night and Virgin appear to be scratching their heads. I was told the cable was at 90% usage (not sure what area it serves though) but that should NOT affect upload speeds. I am awaiting a call from someone at Virgin that I was promised would call today after 1200.

0 Kudos
Dannyjwilson
Joining in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I am in BN3 and have been getting between 0.8 and 2.8 download, and 5.6 to 10.0 upload speeds for the last 24 hours. Continual buffering with iplayer, internet dropping out and in.

Can't get anywhere with information from Virgin . I Really want to know if its worth spending hours trying to remedy the situation myself by moving the router , switching off and on etc, or if there are bigger issues out there that I cant control. Can someone at VM look into it and let me (and others I'm sure)know.

0 Kudos
marko56
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Well, it is now 1630 and no call back.

When I spoke to them yesterday I was assured that there was no issue with the equipment my end (they are usually quite quick to try and book an engineer visit) and all the resets etc. sent down the line to my modem did nothing apart from confirm that the issue was elsewhere.

I will try ringing them again and see what happens but I fear that nothing will be resolved soon.

I could live (for a short while) with slow download speeds but I have an upload speed of between 0.00 and 0.03 so it really is unusable.

I would gladly swap my 20 Mb download speed (supposed to be 150) for your 5.6 - 10.0 upload Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
marko56
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Spent ages on the phone with one of the line technicians and he carried out a very comprehensive investigation than still resulted in an Engineer having to visit mid week. The only thing he saw that may account for my issue were time outs on the local network which may originate from distribution box on the road or node to head end? Not sure what that entails but my next door neighbour is also having the same issues.

Sorry that it doesn't help the BN3 post code issue but there may be light at the end of the tunnel for myself and the original poster.

0 Kudos
Dannyjwilson
Joining in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Turning off then on again (for the third time)has resulted in these numbers- way better, and close to what I am paying for. The only differenence this time was that I not only turned the router off using the button, but also removed the power supply for a minute or so.... go figure?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5795243097.png

0 Kudos
Marv95
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

I am tethering to my mobile at the moment to get on here - Speedtest now shows 18-20 Download and Negligible Upload.

When I check if there is a know issue in my area there is... I spoke online to someone and they said that VM are doing upgrade work and have been since September... this will not finish until late Jan 2017. This is for new customers as too many are wanting VM.

I complained and said why didnt you tell every VM customer in the area.. I use my broadband for work (work from home) and VM refunded me from September - November. I will have to complain each month to get a discount.

It's disgusting Service... they don't care about legacy Customers... I pay for upto 100MB Fibre... and they are offering me 150MB. I am had 50MB download and 0 upload yesterday... now I have 18-20MB and 0.3 upload today.

**bleep** VM!!!!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Ahh over utilization.

I'm afraid to say the January date is only a review date and not a fix date however then.

Phone staff will say fix dates but they never are, it's what their scripts say for them to say.

As a heads up, be careful when you say you work from home. It's in the terms and conditions that you are not allowed to use the residential line for work.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Marv95
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi - thanks - my fibre is worst than TalkTalk Broadband.

Work from home - sending emails!! I had to to send a 127KB attachments on a single email it couldn't do it!!! 

I am tethering my phone all the time.... will VM pay for my over usage on my Vodafone Mobile??

0 Kudos
Marv95
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

How can VM get away with doing this - pay for 100MB and get 29MB and 029 Upload 0 Download29 Upload 0 Download??