Menu
Ljdoc
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Upgraded to Vivid 100 and got Slower Speed

I upgraded to Vivid100 and had an engineer install as I had TV installed too. He replaced my Superhub 2 with a Superhub 3. I used my Superhub 2 in modem mode and had a Netgear Router R2650. When I was on 70mb I got at least 65mb and mostly 70mb every time I did a check regardless of time of day. I have had the Vivid 100 for a few days and early in the day I do get 100mb but in the evening it can range from 3mb to mostly around 10mb. I am using the Suoerhub 3 in modem mode and have tied resetting both, changing channel and nothing has made any difference. Anyone got any ideas what could be happening?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Upgraded to Vivid 100 and got Slower Speed

Slow speeds at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) but full speed at off peak times is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting over a year for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

All Replies
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Are you able to test on a machine that has a wired connection? Just to rule out interference with wireless?
0 Kudos
Ljdoc
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I just took the Superhub 3 out of modem mode and connected my phone to the wireless on the Superhub 3 and ran a few speed test is which all were around 6 - 9mb. I then ran a speed test from my laptop connected straight into the Superhub and got 99mb first time, 14mb, second time 20mb third time and 19mb fourth time.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Slow speeds at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) but full speed at off peak times is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting over a year for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Ljdoc
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response. It is strange that only a week ago and for quite a while since I installed the Netgear Router I have had no problems with the 70mb package and speed. My issues only started a few days ago when the Vivid 100 was started and the Superhub was changed from 2 to 3. It is a strange one on me that I can't figure out, upgrade and get less!!!!! Hopefully Virgin will sort soon as when it works right it is an excellent service.
0 Kudos
Ljdoc
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Still no response on this one and still getting up to 105mb during the day and only 5mb at night. Has anyone any suggestions whilst I wait on Virgin to respond.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Evening Ljdoc,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

My apologies that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds during the evenings. I can imagine how frustrating this must be.

Looking at the network the traffic is running low and there are no faults reported. Power levels are also within range which is good, so this is a mystery as to what is causing these slow speeds at these times.

Are you able to create a Broadband Quality Monitor as this will show us any latency issues during peak hours? If you do set up a BQM you will need to disable the firewall within the router settings.

Do you get the same speeds if the laptop is in Safe Mode with Networking?

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Ljdoc
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Sam,

I have disabled the firewall and set up a BQM. I usually use the router in modem mode but I tested the speed this evening once I took it out of modem mode and I'm only getting 3mb. How long will I need to keep the BQM going as I need to set back to router mode to connect all my devices to this. I'm not sure how to do the other speed test.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Morning Ljdoc,

Thanks for the reply.

With the BQM you can leave this running for say 24 - 48 hours. Just enough time for it to gather data for us to check it over.

As the Hub 3 is in router mode you will be able to use the wireless to connect your devices too for the time being if you wish.

On the laptop, do you know what version of Windows is it running? You can use Google for a guide on how to use Safe Mode with Networking, however if you are unsure or uncomfortable with this step we can leave this for now.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Ljdoc
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Sam,

I'll leave the laptop for now as I'm not sure I'm able to do this as it is a company laptop and has restrictions. I will leave the BQM running, are you able to see the results or do I need to provide these to you. For info on have just done a speed check and I'm currently getting 103mb where as last night I was getting about 3mb.
0 Kudos