Menu
newnhak
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Upgraded to 150 but wi-fi speed not increased

Hi

I have recently gone onto 150 broadband package as I wasn't getting a good Wi-Fi speed on vivid100

Average Speedtest this morning was 102 on Ethernet 52 on Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi speed is a couple of points up on what is was on vivid 100 but I was expecting more of an increase.

Any ideas as to what I can do?

Thanks

Karen

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Upgraded to 150 but wi-fi speed not increased

If you were not maxing out your internet connection on wireless on the 100Mbps package then increasing your package will not increase your wireless speeds, as the wireless speed has reached it's maximum speed that your wireless client \ wireless environment can support.

First of all, i would check that the upgrade has been applied by going to the hub's GUI using http://192.168.100.1 , don't log in and click the router status button in the top right of the screen. Click the Operation Configuration tab and look at the Max Traffic rate under the Primary Downstream service flow. It should read 165000000 or 17200000 bps if you have been upgraded.

I would look at the capabilities of your wireless adapters as single stream adapters are only capable of around 35 to 40Mbps on a single wireless channel. To get above 100Mbps wirelessly you will need a multistream MIMO wireless N adapter preferably using the 5Ghz band so you can use channel bonding without much fear of interference. or a wireless AC adapter if you have the SH2AC or Hub 3.

I would also bear in mind wireless speeds are heavily affected by your wireless environment, namely interference from other devices, Range and the topography of your home.

What devices are you using to test the speeds?

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you were not maxing out your internet connection on wireless on the 100Mbps package then increasing your package will not increase your wireless speeds, as the wireless speed has reached it's maximum speed that your wireless client \ wireless environment can support.

First of all, i would check that the upgrade has been applied by going to the hub's GUI using http://192.168.100.1 , don't log in and click the router status button in the top right of the screen. Click the Operation Configuration tab and look at the Max Traffic rate under the Primary Downstream service flow. It should read 165000000 or 17200000 bps if you have been upgraded.

I would look at the capabilities of your wireless adapters as single stream adapters are only capable of around 35 to 40Mbps on a single wireless channel. To get above 100Mbps wirelessly you will need a multistream MIMO wireless N adapter preferably using the 5Ghz band so you can use channel bonding without much fear of interference. or a wireless AC adapter if you have the SH2AC or Hub 3.

I would also bear in mind wireless speeds are heavily affected by your wireless environment, namely interference from other devices, Range and the topography of your home.

What devices are you using to test the speeds?

0 Kudos
newnhak
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I understand all the questions but will endeavour to answer.

Speedtest done on laptop (windows 10)

max upload speed 115000000 - so looks like my device hasn't been updated?

Sorry do not understand following paragraph

would look at the capabilities of your wireless adapters as single stream adapters are only capable of around 35 to 40Mbps on a single wireless channel. To get above 100Mbps wirelessly you will need a multistream MIMO wireless N adapter preferably using the 5Ghz band so you can use channel bonding without much fear of interference. or a wireless AC adapter if you have the SH2AC or Hub 3.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What is the make \ model of the laptop?

You are correct, you have not been upgraded yet (itake it you mean Download)

A 20Mhz wide wireless channel can carry 72Mbps, this is a theoretical link speed which will translate to around 35 to 40mbps real world speeds due to the way wireless works and overheads.

If you bond two wireless channels together to form a 40Mhz channel, you can double the throuput to 150mbps link speed, about 75 - 80Mbps real world speeds. However using a 40Mhz wide channel is not a good idea on the 2.4GHz band as it narrow (83MHz wide). The 40Mhz channel will take up half of the 2.4Ghz band making it sucsepible to interference from other wireless networks and domestic appliances like baby monitors, security systems etc. as wireless channels overlap on the 2.4Ghz band. The 5Ghz band is wider and the wireless channels do not overlap.

Now, if you use two wireless antennae you can double the speed by transmitting data on two wireless streams simulataneously. This is known as Multiple Input Multiple Output. So, using two wireless streams the link speed will increase to 144Mbps for a single wireless channel and 300Mbps for two wireless channels. (about 75 - 90Mbps and 150 - 180 Mbps real world speed)

Wireless AC can bond 4 wireless channels to form a 80Mhz wide channel and uses better coding to achieve a link speed of 433Mbps per wireless stream. (200Mbps + real world speed at close range) Wireless AC can also use 8 wireless streams compared to the 4 the wireless N standard can use.

The SHs have 5 antennae 2 on the 2.4Ghz band and 3 on the 5Ghz band. So on the 2.4Ghz band you can get maximum link speeds of 300Mbps , 450Mbps on the 5Ghz band and 1,3Gbps on AC enabled hubs. To get these link speeds you need wireless clients that use 5 wireless antennae as well

newnhak
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

make and model is HP Pavilion 15-p157sa

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Looking at the specifications for the laptop, it has a single stream (1x1) 2.4Ghz only wireless adapter. So, 52 Mbps is a good speed for that adapter.

To improve the wireless speed you could get a USB dual band MIMO wireless dongle N300 minimum or a wireless AC dongle if you have a SH2AC or Hub 3 and disable the laptop's wireless.

Bear in mind that wireless speeds will still be affected by range, Interference and the topography of your home. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer will help you optimise your wireless connection by helping you choose the best wireless channel. Bear in mind the wifi scanner will not show interference from domestic appliances like A\V Streaming devices, Baby Monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave Ovens. Plasma TVs, Security Systems etc.

It is also a good idea to ensure the hub is located in a clear, central position as possible away from obstacles and electrical devices.

From the specs the laptop has a 10/100 Mbps ethernet adapter, so the max wired speed would be around 95Mbps notwithstanding inaccuracies in the speedtest site. There are USB 3 to gigabit ethernet adapters available if you want to improve the wired speeds.

0 Kudos
newnhak
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have SH not 2 or 3 so looks like I need to live with what I have or upgrade hub and laptop wireless adaptor. However current speed isn't a major issue - just wasn't happy paying for something I wasn't getting the use of. That said what I am paying a good price for my bundle so price is no longer an issue - albeit  I can't benefit from the increase.

However does the increase give me any benefit regarding the use of multiple devices?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes it will as the speed or more accurately bandwidth is the total bandwidth being delivered to your hub and is shared by all devices connected to the hub. So say you have two devices downloading simultaneously on a 100Mbps package, each device will get 50Mbps roughly.

0 Kudos