Menu
laineyc
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unwatchable apple and amazon videos due to constant buffering

At the end of my tether now.  Every single night without fail, if I watch a film via Apple TV or the Amazon Videos app on my smart tv it constantly buffers to the point of being unwatchable.  BB diagnostics show speeds of upwards of 170MB.  I reset my hub sometimes several times a night.  I rarely watch TV via Tivo and never use my landline but still have to pay over £50 per month for all these services just to get a decent BB connection.  Except since an alleged upgrade in speed, I am not even getting that.

I can post router status network logs etc if it helps but I really need to understand why I am paying through the nose for allegedly the fastests speeds in the UK only to find when I stream using Apple or Smart TV I might as well go back to living in the countryside with BT's 2MB max speeds and taking all night to watch one film.

Furious right now.  How can anyone talk about robots taking over the world when the technicians can't even deliver unbuffered streaming.   No one else is streaming anything in the house at the moment but the screen stops every 10 mins with "insufficient bandwidth" messages.

Help me sort this once and for all or I go to Ofcom. 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unwatchable apple and amazon videos due to constant buffering

Hi laineyc,

I'm truly sorry for the poor connection you've been experiencing. We'll do our absolute best to get this resolved for you.

First on the agenda is to arrange for an engineer visit so that your Hub's downstream power levels can be increased. Please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll get an appointment organised.

If the issue persists after that just keep us updated and we'll investigate further.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
dallydog
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

We too are having exactly the same problems as laineyc,

Our setup has only just been installed, and as mentioned watching streaming videos via Amazon Prime is almost impossible despite a speed test suggesting over 200Mbps download speed. Again this is while no other device is actively drawing bandwidth. We have tried re-siting the router away from other electrical devices to no benefit. Starting to regret the move away from our previous BB provider already, we had no streaming problems at all with Plusnets "meagre" 40Mbps.

Can anyone offer any further advice

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey dallydog,

I'm sorry to hear you're suffering issues with buffering despite getting full speeds on tests. I'd like to find out what's happening for you.

I've run some tests and it appears your connection is currently affected by an SNR outage. The reference is F004988516 and our engineers are working to get this sorted out as quickly as possible. Keep an eye on things and let us know if you're still experiencing problems in a few days' time. I've tested the hub and it isn't showing any problems, so once that outage is sorted then the connection should be OK.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
dallydog
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kev B

Just a follow up post relating to the above issue.

Our streaming video has improved greatly over the course of the last week or so, so at least most programmes are at least watchable. However we are still getting short buffering periods and some periods of pixelation or low definition viewing whilst streaming - can any further tweaking be done?

As previously mentioned we had no such issues with Plusnet despite lower download speeds - latest speed tests on Virgin indicating between 99 and 145 Mb/s......down on previous figures, but surely fast enough to stream without issue, especially as nothing else is downloading at the same time.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
phasmatis
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Test your speed on fast.com that is designed to test streaming speed using a single threaded TCP connection.

You may also have the issue detailed here 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Very-poor-HTTP-download-speed/td-p/3026879

0 Kudos
dallydog
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Current download speeds a mere 80MB/s as measured on both Fast.com and BroadbandSpeedChecker.co.uk. Way below the 200MB/s advertised headline speed.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there dallydog,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Apologies that you are not achieving the up to 200 Mbps broadband speeds.

I've run some tests on your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine which is good.

Were the speed tests you completed through a wired or wireless connection? If wireless can you try through wired please?

Do you notice these speeds at all times of the day or just at certain times?

Let us know how you get on
Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
dallydog
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha_L.

OK....just conducted some more speed tests. Today (Sat 4th - late afternoon) we are getting approx 120Mb/s over a wireless connection to our laptop, which increases to 160Mb/s through a wired connection.

I am wondering whether the problem might lie with our Samsung TV wireless dongle. Just attempted a speed test through the TV browser and could only achieve about 6Mb/s. Swapped dongle to another port and still the same.

Have listed the dongle data transfer specs from Samsung below

• IEEE 802.11a/g 54, 48, 36, 24, 18, 12, 9 and 6Mbps
  • IEEE 802.11b 11, 5.5, 2 and 1Mbps
  • IEEE 802.11n Up to 300Mbps (40MHz / spatial streams:2)

Could there be a compatibility issue between the dongle and router?

We could connect TV via ethernet, but it is a messy long term option due to siting of TV. Don't currently have a cable long enough either.

What do you think?

Regards

0 Kudos