Menu
charliecharlie
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Unusable in the Evening (SE London)

Seen countless posts recently about people having severe service degradation in the evening.

Have been with VM for a year and a half now. We had High Utilisation issues in our area pretty much after joining, so was put down to a 50mb service which seemed to help. 

UNTIL a few nights ago, where every evening the service becomes basically unusable. Have checked with neighbours and they are all getting the same. Download speeds range from 1mb to 7mb. But even with 7mb, I am running ping tests to Google DNS servers as well as BBC and getting responses averaging from 800ms to 2000ms! Which means not only is anyone getting enough bandwidth to stream, play games etc, simple things like web page loading are unbearably slow (even these forums)

If anyone in the SE London area (I'm in SE9) is having these issues, please let me know as the more info I can go back to Virgin with, the better. 

Called them two nights ago and had the standard, are you using wireless, have you turned it off and on (I work in IT, it's the first thing I learnt to do 15 odd years ago!) 

Have had to resort to using my mobile as a mobile wifi hotspot just so I can do simple things like check my emails and catch up on my newsfeeds

Capture.PNG

crypticc
Superfast
Message 2 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unusable in the Evening (SE London)

Sometimes good and on a quiet Sunday night past midnight once or twice seen 150 to 200 meg service.  That was four years ago!

And then Virgin started advertising with Usain Bolt.  And gave our bandwidth to the London Underground.  And connected our next door neighbour and the guy across the road (who I know are not big users scraping data onto a NAS drive or anything silly)

Now, for the last couple of years we've been on rubbish 1 to 10 meg service, 50 absolute tops on the random quiet day

(paying for 200 and have to chase promised refunds that don't arrive).

Virgin have been spinning the  overutilisation line for a couple of years now and given a rolling 3 month "fix coming soon" line.  Generally speaking they refuse to look at the real issue, which is noise and poor signal-to-noise while there's an overutilisation issue.  Through escalation I managed to get a new line pull and a SH2AC which didn't fix the issue.

Apparently this overutilisation issue in  SE London Lewisham serve was due to be fixed 30 Aug and we've been experiencing whole half-days without connectivity while they do their upgrades - apparently now complete.

See below for a 'good' day.   And this is what I get?  24 Megs gone eleven o'clock at night.   c'mon what the hell is going on?  Half an hour later you can get 100 Meg - Pull your finger out Virgin and get your network working during waking hours please.

The only thing that is keeping me now is the extra steps I'd need to do to convince alarm installer to get into the crawl space beneath my house to disconnect virgin. 

Their network is creaking and on borrowed time if you ask me before it all goes belly-up

Kind regards everyone !

speedtest.jpgpingtest.jpg

SE18

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------
TiVo video output scaling-bugs

Tivo-scaling-bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 46
Flag for a moderator

I'm in SE3 and have had this issue for coming up 2 Years now. Constant slow speed at peak time ( 1 - 8 Mbps ) & now it is so oversubscribed i just get cut off anytime of day but mainly at night. Tonight's graph is below.

My Review is this month and if its not solved i will upgrade my DSL connection from TalkTalk to Fiber & cancel Virgin since its always stable.

charliecharlie
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Had the engineer just visit, confirmed it's high utilisation (surprise!) - been given a fix a date of 21st of December. So that's nearly 4 months of unusable internet. Joy!

This after an high utilisation issue being resolved 15 months ago. Here's an idea VM, stop signing up new people in the area when the network clearly can't cope. Or when 'fixing' it last year, fix it so there's enough capacity to last more than just over a year.

So frustrating. And the VM line of blaming customers for using the internet in the evenings is a bit poor. It's like when the train companies ask commuters to not travel during peak times to avoid congestion. All very well if it wasn't for a little thing called work.

crypticc
Superfast
Message 5 of 46
Flag for a moderator

And when December comes along will be march.. And then June....  Never trust a date that ends on our around a quarter end as it means a target not an estimate

Tivo-scaling-bug

Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 46
Flag for a moderator

I have had this issue since Late 2014 so almost 2 years now & my Review is this month. 

If it gets pushed back again ( probably will ) I am just moving provider as 2 years is more than enough.

crypticc
Superfast
Message 7 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Well. There's a surprise.

9476ad46ca8cb1f46f331721ec77817c-04-09-2016

Tivo-scaling-bug

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Can't wait until the 7th Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
charliecharlie
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Out of interest, what packages are you on?

When the high utilisation issues started 15 months ago, I was getting disconnects all the time. They then reduced me from 100mb to 50mb and I don't get the disconnects/loss in service anymore, just very poor speeds/high latency in the evenings.

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 46
Flag for a moderator

I am on the 200Mbps package. My Review is on the 7th of this month but i know its not going to be fixed so have placed a Fibre order with another provider & am canceling when it goes live.