Menu
lrc123
Tuning in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Unusable broadband

I've been directed to this forum by your Twitter team, after being lied to on two occasions by the team on the phone.

My 70Mbps connection is down to 4 or 5Mpbs during peak times, aka whenever I'm at home and awake. I've done multiple modem resets and all my speed tests are done wired and I'm getting really fed up with Virgin.

I have been told it is a contention issue, which is particularly frustrating, as it isn't too long ago since I had the same issue, also due to contention - if you can't support your existing customers, don't keep signing up new ones!

The times I have spoken to customer service, I was told (on the 24th January) I would get a call back from the networks team within a few hours - I'm still to get that call. On the 3rd February, I was told an engineer would be out on the 4th February, so I waited in all day, no sign of an engineer. Broadband connection is still unusable.

At least when this happened before, my bill was reduced to compensate for the unusable connection. This time I'm paying more for a "faster speed", yet I'm still paying the increased price, but having to use the hotspot from my mobile if I want to get online.

How can I get this sorted so I can use my internet connection again?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unusable broadband

If its overutilisation, you cant "get it sorted" you just got to wait until it gets fixed. Could be a long wait.

You should have been issued an F number which allows you to claim a service credit going forward.

If not wait for staff to pick it up and they will get you one if it IS overutilisation.

Do you get headline speeds off peak?

0 Kudos
lrc123
Tuning in
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

No F number, from the team on the phone, I just got the impression that they wanted to get me off the phone as quickly as possible.

I do get near enough to claimed speeds early in the morning.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Ahead of staff replying (which can take a few days), set up a BQM

HERE

Run it for say 24 hrs, and post the result.

Dont forget youll need to make sure your super hub is configured to reply to ICMP echo requests...

BQM.jpg

That will confirm its utilisation and we can push for an F number and associated credit.

Just be aware, fixes take a long time, might be better to look for an alternative supplier in the sort term.

0 Kudos
lrc123
Tuning in
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

I've sent that up.

I'm now into double digit speeds!

0 Kudos
lrc123
Tuning in
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

This is what the monitor looks like:

My Broadband Ping - My Virgin Media

Getting < 5Mbps right now.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

We need staff input on that one- if it IS overutilisation its mild.

0 Kudos
lrc123
Tuning in
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I'll keep an eye on it, as weeknights seem worse than weekends when this was from.
0 Kudos
lrc123
Tuning in
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Updated with a midweek graph:

My Broadband Ping - My Virgin Media

Should I have had a response by now? Or has marking previous help as "helpful" tagged this thread as "solved", so it is being ignored?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Likkely so- and it takes around a week ATM for a staff reply

0 Kudos