Menu
Doppleganger
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Under 5% of advertised speed!!

So my account proudly announces a speed boost of 200mbps....

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 13.45.20.png 

And this is what I get! I can't even stream youtube videos without buffering! What is the point of paying for fibre optic cable, when you are getting such abysmal speeds? 

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 13.49.02.png

0 Kudos
SiKi
Up to speed
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Under 5% of advertised speed!!

Am afraid this is the norm is you are blessed to be in one of their overloaded network areas, am getting 2.5% of their flagship 200Mbps service.  They do tell me its a good speed off peak sadly am at work and my boss want let me change my hours.

waiting for virgin to recommend a new job so i can use their super duper network..

On the bright side think off the extra money virgin are getting having the extra customers shoehorned on to their magic cables, top brass will be happy..

0 Kudos
jiggy
Superfast
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

HOLY SCHMOLY, I've not been with VM since last April now and just thought I'd pop in to see how it's going and not much has changed, still speed issues, poor service etc, my problems started back in 2014 and here we are 3 years later and people still having problems? How do they get away with it? I hope Usain Bolt is enjoying his advertising fee that you all paid for, shame the advert doesn't live up to the reality, my contract with new people (I'm sure you can guess who it is) is nearly up but it looks like there's no way I'll be coming back to VM, my speeds are not great but it's never dropped it's always 30 or so upload is always 9.2 or higher and the TV service is sooooooooooooo much better, keep complaining and good luck maybe they'll eventually do something about it

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

3 years problems get fixed and new problems start.

All ISP have speed problems in some area. welcome to the wonders of the internet
0 Kudos
Doppleganger
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

How do I find out what is causing this issue? 

If it is overloading, then surely that means they are selling a service that they know they can't provide.

0 Kudos
Daniel1337
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5988872935][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/5988872935.png[/I...]

This internet is a joke... My pc is buffering even on youtube with 1 phone connected on wifi...And im using broadband on pc,I`m also paying this guys 40 pounds a month. Shame on you.

0 Kudos
Doppleganger
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

My Area reference is 21, if that helps anyone. The speed issues seem to be quite wide spread! 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Doppleganger,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're experiencing speed issues.

I've located your account and I can see an issue with the network in your area affecting speeds at peak times - Ref.(F003402163). Our technicians are working to get this resolved and have set a review date of 8th February.

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Doppleganger
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Josh. 

What exactly does a review date mean?

I can see this same reference number has been given review dates from June 2015(!) onwards, from what I can see on this forum. So the issue has been 'reviewed' for over a year and a half with no resolution. You could have been in a position with an 18 month contract in the meantime, getting less than 10% of advertised speeds! 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/download-speed-is-under-5mb-s/m-p/2839429/highligh...

0 Kudos
Rancid
Up to speed
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

a review date is exactly that.
it is not a fix date or an intended works date or an add more capacity date.

it is where VM review the problem.

as you can see some people have had review dates that go back years.

Area 21 SW16 crap speeds for 12+ Months... current fault F004332018, Complaint COM101113771 Ignored, VM code of conduct Ignored... Avoid VM at all costs
0 Kudos