Menu
Jason-wood
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unacceptable evening speeds

Hi, I'm hoping someone from virgin can help urgently. I have just switched from years with sky to virgin, with the only reason I switched being sky don't do fibre broadband in my area. In the day everything works fine, however in the evenings, while I expect it to be a little slower as it's peak time, but to not even be able to play fifa online with my son or even stream videos without buffering is unacceptable. There are no connection or upnp issue.

I haven't even made my first payment yet. Please could someone look into this for me as I'm not getting th3 very service I switched for.

Thanks.

Jason
0 Kudos
mrpops2ko
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unacceptable evening speeds

You can do some more analysis into it, if you feel like it. Figure out whether its congestion;

a) in your local area (not much you can do there)

b) congestion at the end point or traveling to the end point of your traffic (again not really much you can do, if you aren't technical. if you are, you could VPN all your traffic like I did to avoid congestion.)

Either way, it isn't going to be fixed in a hurry, if at all. General lead times for capacity issues are 2 years. 

0 Kudos
TeresaTT
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm getting fed up of this problem which I've had for a very long time. I'm on 70Mbps and this morning I had a consistent speed of 76Mbps whereas now at 9.30pm I'm only getting around 3Mbps. That's a heck of a reduction in speed due to congestion.
0 Kudos
Jason-wood
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's stupid that it makes using the Internet properly impossible. Essentially we are paying for a service we aren't getting. We wouldn't accept it if we were on a hire contract for a car with 200 horsepower but only given one with 100 so why should we accept this???
0 Kudos
Jason-wood
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My ping is around 110-120 which is most likely the biggest problem, what can I do about it as my ps4 lags horrendously!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hiya Jason,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

My apologies that you are experiencing issues with your broadband connection during the evenings.

I've taken a look at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the network segment is running stable, which is good.

Can you complete speed tests whilst the Hub is in modem mode at different times of the day please and let us know the results?

You can also set up a Broadband Quality Monitor as this will check the performance of the connection. If you do create a BQM, you will need to disable the firewall within the router.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Jason-wood
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sam,

Thanks for the reply. I called customer services in the end who changed some settings which has improved the service so fingers crossed it's sorted

Thanks

Jason
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jason,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm glad you called through to us to discuss this further and all seems ok now Smiley Happy

Monitor the connection over the next few days and if there are any further issues, let me know.

Take care

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos