Menu
BigWoowar
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Totally unacceptable broadband

This was going to be a public Facebook post to VirginMedia but I thought I would have a rant on here first:
In January Virgin contacted me to sell me the Full House package and how great the upgrade would be from 100 to 200 broadband. I was already satisfied with 100 (regular peak time speeds of 85 upwards) but took the plunge due to 2 growing kids iPads and PlayStations etc.
MASSIVE MISTAKE ALERT!!!!!!
As soon as I upgraded my speeds are regularly less than 8 (eight). I work late and when I get home at 4am, the highest I have got is 40. This prompted me to report a fault. After spending 2 hours on the phone to some faraway call centre an engineer came. No fault found but he said other customers were reporting the same and I should monitor it.
One week later, no improvement, 2 hour call with switching things on and off and connecting laptops with wires etc... another engineer booked. Waited in the house for the appointment period, sat gazing out of window for engineer.....no engineer came. Complaint made and was told that the engineer had been, rung the bell and no one answered so he left a card and stated no one in as there were no cars. Truth is my car never left the drive , no card was posted and certainly no engineer had visited. Appalling.
Rung up to book a new appointment and told I couldn't just do that I had to perform another 2 hour phone call to a distant land to 'prove' I had a fault. Needless to say the speeds were so slow I couldn't actually perform the tests!!! So, another engineer booked.
Engineer comes and acknowledges very slow speeds and states this is now very common and showed me internal emails raising the issue to senior engineers and saw that the network equipment was not up to supporting the speeds. New equipment was being built soon.
So here we are 3 months later, speeds are rarely above 20. I've tried to download games for my children and the estimated time is 14 hours!!! Can't watch iPlayer when someone else is using the internet etc...
Basically the service is totally unacceptable and I have been missold. I'm sure if I stopped the direct debit I would have debt collectors round immediately so how are Virgin allowed to get away with this??? I refuse to pay for such a sub standard service. I have contacted virgin with my concerns regarding their infrastructure that I have seen senior engineers refer to in internal emails but the call handlers have no knowledgable.
I have shared my experience with many friends and colleagues now and will do so until I get a better service. It's been a total let down.
Or is it just me?!?!

Helpful Answers
Markgen
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Totally unacceptable broadband

It's certainly not you unfortunately and a very common theme no matter where you live.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Markgen
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's certainly not you unfortunately and a very common theme no matter where you live.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello BigWoowar

I am really sorry for all the problems you have had trying to report slow speeds, engineers not turning up and also for the fact that you have it in the first place! As you say appalling, please accept our apologies, we will do our best to help you via the forum.

As mentioned by the engineer we do have a problem in the area with high peak time traffic F005149593 and we would like to discuss this further with you once we have carried out some Data Protection checks.

I will send you a forum private message please reply when you have a moment.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BigWoowar wrote:
...........Engineer comes and acknowledges very slow speeds and states this is now very common and showed me internal emails raising the issue to senior engineers and saw that the network equipment was not up to supporting the speeds. New equipment was being built soon......

Welcome to the world of Overutilisation! You will now, no doubt, be offered loss of service credit.
Strange isn't it that once you 'upgrade' to a higher tier your speed crashes with a high peak time traffic 'fault'.

Engineer states "this is now very common". I would say more common across parts of the network than certain people who frequent these boards would like to believe or accept.

Be very wary of the words 'new equipment being built soon'.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
0 Kudos
BigWoowar
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I just do not understand or accept why when I had 100mb broadband I had speeds of over 90 most of the time, but then I was sold an upgrade to 200mb - I now get under 10mb all day, with a peak of 30 in the middle of the night. I am now wasting money on netfix etc as I can never use it.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello BigWoowar

Thanks for your message, it is interesting that you mention that this seems to be happening outside of peak times as well. 

The line and hub look good, all parameters nicely within spec. I feel sure that you have carried a multitude of tests already so I hesitate to ask you to do more but we just need to be sure.

Always use a wired connection using www.speedtest.net leaving the default server as this will normally remain on our network.

If you can please try a couple of different wired devices in the hub when in modem only mode Modem mode on your Virgin Media Hub

Please try that at off peak times eg about 4am and let us know how that goes.

Thank you for your help

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
BigWoowar
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Nicola,

The fact is that I have seen the emails engineers are sending between themselves which explicitly state the Virgin infrastructure cannot cope. This should be public knowledge so that customers can make an informed decision when deciding to upgrade. My children are particularly disappointed with their new iPads which are pretty much made redundant for on line use. When sold I was told of the benefits of upgrading - using multiple devices, netfix, music streaming etc. But now we have not just a lesser service than before, but an unusable service.
I have performed multiple wired tests and the connection has been so poor that the on line engineers could not even load the speed test web page.
Quite frankly, the service we have received (or not) is shoddy, coulpled with our experience of service recovery is now filtering to our friends and family who had been tempted by the offer.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello BigWoowar

Thanks for getting back, it sounds like the emails that the engineers are sending between themselves may be the fault I previously mentioned. You are correct at peak times the capacity needs to be greater, it is not a secret, it is in public F005149593, we are working on it. I was merely following up on what you said about it happening off peak as well to feedback to the engineers.

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The only secret BigWoowar is how widespread the network capacity problems really are.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
0 Kudos