Menu
Rising star
Message 11 of 19 (180 Views)

Re: Time to post my frustrations for the world to see

@mrenigma

You are clearly in an are that suffers from what Virgin like to call over utilisation but in all honesty it's simply because they have sold services to way to many customers that are connected to the same CMTS, the CMTS only has a certain amount of bandwidth available to split between all the users and until that gets increased you will have sub par speeds.

Now you need to understand this will take YEARS not months to fix and Virgin will NEVER give you a FIX date just a REVIEW date often being several months in to the future (most are 2018 now) however when the REVIEW date arrives 9 times out of 10 you will simply just be given yet another REVIEW date.

Just look at my sig below I have had 12 or so review dates since 2014 and my speeds are still sub par.

The advice you have been given by others in this thread in bang on, you have 2 choices

1) Stay with VM put up with the terrible speeds and lag (puma 6 issue) and claim compensation (it's not much) in the form of bill credits 

or

2) Find a more reliable provider that can offer you decent speeds at peak times, as an example I have BT Fibre I get 77/20 24/7 and just look at the graph below, shows how bad VM really are in my area.

I will leave you to think about your choices however the quickest FIX would be to leave VM and find an alternate provider.

All the best.

DO YOU SUFFER FROM SLOW DOWNLOAD SPEEDS AT PEAK TIMES? CLICK HERE

This is the poor quality of my Superhub 3 connection Smiley Sad
My Broadband Ping - Vivid 200 Gamer

Area 04 Rowley Regis B65 high utilisation fault ticket F004670584  SEE MY ONGOING THREAD HERE

Fault reported 09/2014 - Fault ticket raised 01/01/15 - Changed to 05/15 -  Changed to 12/08/15 - Changed to 14/10/15 - Changed to 04/11/15 - Changed to 15/04/16 - Changed to 06/07/16 - Changed to 31/09/16 - Changed to 30/11/16 - Changed to 15/02/17 - Changed to 12/07/17 - Changed to 20/09/17 - Changed to 14/06/17 - Changed to 10/01/18 < 3 YEARS SINCE FIRST TICKET

Upgraded to 24 downstream channels completed 25/04/17 - CMTS card upgrades completed 07/04/17 - Upgraded to 20 downstream channels completed 18/10/16 - Upgraded to 16 downstream channels 06/08/16 (From 8) - F004332353 High Utilisation closed on 01/08/16 -  - Fault reference F003508309 ticket was closed in ERROR!!!!!! -

Thanks to BT Fibre Broadband I can actually game without lag Smiley Very Happy
My Broadband Ping - BT FIBRE 80/20

Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 19 (169 Views)

Tommey is bang on with a minor difference of opinion. The bottleneck is rarely the CMTS. Unless it's a really old server which I don't believe it to be as they are end-of-life, it's usually at the optical node in the street or the line card on the CMTS. VM are definitely overselling and the best you can hope for in such circumstances is that The Register picks up on a forum story and then goes to town on it.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 19 (155 Views)

I did already realize the problem was over subcribed .

I was told of this when I first complained in feb 2017 and was told about it,

I have been reading the forum on and of for ages.

I am very angry that I was lied to on Friday when I was promised that going to the VIVID 200 Gamer would solve it when clearly it does not.

Personally I dont like BT, I have an issue with them going back years which they still wont sort out and I refuse to use them , however I do have the option of Sky as I am already a sky customer I am sure I can get sky phone and BB and tell Virgin to go away.

Its a real shame as I have been with Virgin since the days of NTL and apart from the odd issue here and there that was always rectified quickly its been fine until now.

I shall be talking with the engineer when he visits tomorrow. I will make a decission than

ultimately I think I should be paying a fraction of the price they charge for sub standard service. not just issue credits when requested.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 14 of 19 (145 Views)

[ Edited ]

As the folks have said, you are in a very big over-subscription club that's rapidly increasing in size...just as quickly as VM can sign up more deliberately uninformed customers - and at the same time - keeping as many existing customers in the dark as possible.

This very deliberate deception is utterly shocking and sickening and I would suggest the situation has developed well beyond the point of having enough hard evidence for one or two external bodies to properly take this up. I had another chat with customer services last night and after changing frequencies etc etc my regular evening issue is just the same tonight. Note that I was informed that VM will not invest properly until brexit concludes and the American owners decide what to do. I was also promised that if I change from my normal 200 to 200Gamer then all my problems will disappear...oh really!

Ok VM...some damage limitation imminent perhaps?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 15 of 19 (128 Views)

Joe92 wrote:

As the folks have said, you are in a very big over-subscription club that's rapidly increasing in size...just as quickly as VM can sign up more deliberately uninformed customers - and at the same time - keeping as many existing customers in the dark as possible.

This very deliberate deception is utterly shocking and sickening and I would suggest the situation has developed well beyond the point of having enough hard evidence for one or two external bodies to properly take this up. I had another chat with customer services last night and after changing frequencies etc etc my regular evening issue is just the same tonight. Note that I was informed that VM will not invest properly until brexit concludes and the American owners decide what to do. I was also promised that if I change from my normal 200 to 200Gamer then all my problems will disappear...oh really!

A lot of things have been blamed on Brexit. First time Ive seen overutilisation blamed on it though. LG are an international company and truthfully the only thing Brexit and the fall in the pound affects is the "reporting" of profits to the centre.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 16 of 19 (124 Views)

They told me the same. Upgrade to Vivid gamer. The reason; as I download a lot of patches and upload mod frameworks. upgrade to this pay for the hub and delivery for a solid service. Guess what they lied again, much the same way as they always lie. My issue has been for over a year. They have taken monies from me for a service that is marginally worse than dial-up. It would be so nice to have the internet I have always paid for but never received. For me to get a useable net I guess others have to turn off their Vivid gamer connection. As that service is shockingly bad currently.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 17 of 19 (108 Views)

@Kippies "A lot of things have been blamed on Brexit. First time Ive seen overutilisation blamed on it though."

It's clear that the investment required to properly correct all overutilisation locations throughout the UK - and with the future headroom that should be expected as a minimum - is very significant. The mounting evidence shows nothing more than deliberate under engineering in their token 'fixes' to date: that makes no business sense whatsoever, since the issue quickly returns. What should be of primary concern for VM is the rapid buildup of damage to their reputation; the customer simply will not forget. Taking on as many more customers as possible in an already overutilised location is a worrying practice that has not gone unnoticed! Deliberately not telling new and existing customers know about significant degradation faults must also be very concerning for VM on many levels. This has also not gone unnoticed!

The competition knows exactly what's going on. If they begin to offer a service we'd consider better than VM's then it won't be long before that's taken up in very significant numbers. 

Superuser
Message 18 of 19 (102 Views)

Joe92 wrote:

@Kippies "A lot of things have been blamed on Brexit. First time Ive seen overutilisation blamed on it though."

It's clear that the investment required to properly correct all overutilisation locations throughout the UK - and with the future headroom that should be expected as a minimum - is very significant. The mounting evidence shows nothing more than deliberate under engineering in their token 'fixes' to date: that makes no business sense whatsoever, since the issue quickly returns. What should be of primary concern for VM is the rapid buildup of damage to their reputation; the customer simply will not forget. Taking on as many more customers as possible in an already overutilised location is a worrying practice that has not gone unnoticed! Deliberately not telling new and existing customers know about significant degradation faults must also be very concerning for VM on many levels. This has also not gone unnoticed!

The competition knows exactly what's going on. If they begin to offer a service we'd consider better than VM's then it won't be long before that's taken up in very significant numbers. 

The investment required is pretty insignificant compared to Project Lightning (4bn at the last count). VM have been crying about the price of CMTS since the fall in the pound but in reality as a multinational, perfectly easy to import to Eurozone and offset that way.. Its excuse after excuse.  The REAL issue is OFCOM have few teeth and less will to tackle VM.

Dont get me wrong when it works, its great. But I wouldn't like to be a customer sat in an overutilised area waiting for my next review date to roll round ATM. They actually seem to have been pushed further back. Ignition posted recently that there may be a limited DOCSIS 3.1 roll out in some areas which should sort out overutilisation. Certainly cheaper than a full CATV re-segment which is what a lot of overutilised areas need ATM.

On the subject of headroom, that's a difficult one. Widespread 4K streaming services on the way, would you care to guess what headroom's needed? Me either...

As to other providers producing a comparable product- unlikely in the extreme. VM's entry headline (down) speed is now higher that ADSL's highest speed. You'd be looking at serious investment in FTTP to produce a rival service. Although Gfast may provide some competition in the short term.

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 19 of 19 (83 Views)

Kippies wrote:

Joe92 wrote:

A lot of things have been blamed on Brexit. First time Ive seen overutilisation blamed on it though. LG are an international company and truthfully the only thing Brexit and the fall in the pound affects is the "reporting" of profits to the centre.

To be fair, Liberty/Virgin said before the referendum that a leave vote would put their future spend in the UK in jeopardy: 

http://www.silicon.co.uk/networks/virgin-media-network-brexit-eu-193911 

0 Kudos