Menu
Geoff_UK
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thinking of coming back

Hi,

Been away for 3 years - now out of contract with BT and looking for alternatives.

Currently on Infinity 2 - get around 67-68Mbps download and 19Mbps upload.

When I was on VM last time, I was on the 60Mbps service and always got a full 60Mbps download and was on 3Mbps upload. Whenever I worked at home and connected via VPN, it never seemed to work all that well - working at home is fine on Infinity.

I'm interested in vidid 100, an the estimate is in the region of 90+ Mbps for the download - it's the upload I'm confused about.

Most details I can find state that it's a 6Mbps upload - telephone sales tell me it's 10Mbps. I even collard an engineer when he had his head down the manhole at the bottom of my garden and he said "it's 10% of the download speed, therefore 10Mbps" 

Could anyone give me a definitive answer, to help me make my mind up. 

Regards

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thinking of coming back

Before you do anything, type your postcode into the search bar in this forum and check whether there are any utilisation faults in your area. If there are any unresolved faults that VM are saying will be "reviewed" on such and such date, then my advice would be forget it and stick with BT. It may not be as fast, but it's likely to be more reliable — I'd love to be getting the speeds you're getting in the evening!

If there's a utilisation fault in your area then you can expect to get some very slow download speeds at peak tines (evening and weekends). These faults are caused by VM over subscribing too many customers with too little bandwidth. My experience (and that of others) has been that VM will not tell you there is a fault before you sign a contract — the first you'll know about it is grindingly slow internet when you most want to use use it.

I believe that there are currently at least 3 unresolved faults in my area of PO4 and the one affecting me has been ongoing since October 2015 (F003957459). That should give you an idea of how long these issues can go on for without resolution.

I should be getting 150Mb/s down and 10Mb/s up, but I currently get around 6Mb/s in the evening.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
Geoff_UK
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's depressing news!

the only reference to my postcode area is one from August last year - someone on 150Meg and getting 5Mbps !!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/6064205044.png

My speed is pretty stable Iabove) regardless of the time of day - I used to always get around 74Mbps, but it's settled down to around 67-68

Can anyone confirm what the upload should be on Vivid 100 ??

Cheers

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

upload speed is 6meg

Tony
0 Kudos
Geoff_UK
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony.

It's really infuriating when you can't get an accurate answer from VM staff !!

I think I would have taken the jump if it was 10Mbps - not sure I want to take the risk at 6Mbps.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

you need to go to 200 to get that or a little more - from memory its 12 up 

Tony
0 Kudos
Geoff_UK
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hmmm - don't need that sort of speed and certainly don't want to have to pay for it, just to get decent upload !!!

Thanks for the quick responses.

Cheers

0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

got 2 ask yourself,,,whats more important ..up or down....

4 peeps uploading their life story on the net, 6 is weak...but then again...for me down is more imperativ.

maybe 1 day vm will balance this out..  I think 12 on vivd 200 is poo. shud be at least 17-20 without the gamer crap

0 Kudos
Geoff_UK
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

yeah, I agree - I not an "uploader", just need reasonable upload performance when I'm working at home and connecting via VPN - works faultlessly with 18-19Mbps - would be happy with circa 10Mbps, but don't want to spend the money for a 200Mbps service !

I realise that the 2 technologies are completely different and that the VM system will always prioritise download over upload.

Decisions, decisions !!

0 Kudos
Mufc-1972
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't bother......