Menu
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

The difference between BT & VM PO4 area

My part of Portsmouth (PO4) has a Virgin Media utilisation fault. So I entered my postcode on BT's & VM's websites to see what they're telling new customers about broadband in my area.

BT: "BT Infinity is available in your area but due to a high demand there is currently no capacity left at your local cabinet. There will be a waiting period until we can activate the service."

VM: "Great news! You can get Virgin Media"

Tells you all you need to know about being honest with your customers. Come on VM — if BT can do it, so can you.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: The difference between BT & VM PO4 area

BT get to the point they physically cannot connect anymore people to their cabinets. That's why they stop, not because they want to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: The difference between BT & VM PO4 area

Shafreya wrote:
BT get to the point they physically cannot connect anymore people to their cabinets. That's why they stop, not because they want to.

It shouldn't make any difference whether there is physical space or no capacity, the end result is the same thing.

If BT can make customers aware of this at the point of enquiring about broadband, then so can VM. At the very least VM could advise customers that they can install broadband, but there will be diminished service at peak times where there are utilisation faults.

Even as a paying customer if I sign in and check my service status, VM insist that my broadband is fine, despite there being an ongoing fault since October 2015.

VM's lack of transparency and poor customer service — highlighted by conflicting information from different teams and 7 day response time on this forum — is one of the reasons that so many people posting on this forum are so frustrated.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos