Menu
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 98
Flag for a moderator

The ASA should get 'up to speed' on broadband advertising

"A company advertises what appears to be a whizzy product, but only one in 10 people can actually receive what it promises to deliver.

Doesn’t sound fair? Well, this is exactly what’s happening in the broadband market."

"To properly compare different broadband offers, consumers need to assess the whole deal: price and speed."

Tom Mockridge Chief Executive Officer at Virgin Media. (22 January 2016)

Yes, This is exactly what is happening.

So, Mr Mockridge, why does your company continue to  sell oversubscribed services to unwitting customers. Why don't you tell them that their area suffers from contention and they will not get anywhere near the speed they are signing up for at peak times?

Why don't you ADMIT to your already paying customers in the areas that are suffering that there is a serious capacity problem and actually do something about it?

"Of course, there are technical reasons why consumers might occasionally be unable to access the top speed– they affect every provider from time to time and we all work hard to fix them quickly."

If over two years and counting is 'fixing them quickly' god help us.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 2 of 98
Flag for a moderator

Re: The ASA should get 'up to speed' on broadband advertising

Can only Kudo this comment once, sorry!

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 98
Flag for a moderator

Expanding our network to communities in across 18 UK counties shows that ultrafast broadband isn’t just for the big cities, we are dedicated to investing and delivering connectivity across the UK."

Paul Buttery, COO of VirginMedia. ( February 29th 2016 )

Well Paul, how about spending some of that £3bn investment on capacity upgrades for the areas that get less than five percent (5%) of the speeds they are actually paying for during evenings and weekends?

Virgin Media announced a 38% surge in annual profits to £377.5m in 2015, up from £274.1m in 2014.

I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 98
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media chief executive Tom Mockridge compares the expansion of its broadband network to the building of the railways by the Victorians or the rollout of the motorways in the 20th Century.

That sounds just a touch hyperbolic, then again it could be pretty accurate... my internet is about as fast as driving along the M62 at peak times.

Parki79
Rising star
Message 5 of 98
Flag for a moderator

Ian raises some very good points.

I also would also like to see a response from Tom Mockridge on this.

I feel that this is in the general interests of us all to bump this thread everyday until we get a response. Anyone who has contention issues needs to use this post and also aknowledge that they would also like an answer to the questions raised.

Comment below if you would like to a response from VM Management. We should keep this post going until we get one. We are all in this together and we deserve answers by now.

I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003476231 - Never Ending Fault.
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 98
Flag for a moderator

“Our £3bn investment to bring ultrafast connectivity to more parts of the UK is not just about better broadband, it’s about future-proofing the country’s network infrastructure with the best and most modern technology."

“While some companies talk a good game, Virgin Media is putting its money where its mouth is and laying fibre to the premise alongside our superior network — delivering the fastest widely available broadband speeds.”

Tom Mockridge, chief executive of Virgin Media  (April 27th 2016)

Well Tom, how about putting some of that money into giving all the areas with high contention some 'better broadband'. We pay our bills just like the 10% that actually get a decent service. Pretty pointless having the 'best and most modern technology' if all we can get is dial up speeds during evening and weekends.

Parki79
Rising star
Message 7 of 98
Flag for a moderator

I think these new areas were partially funded by the government anyway, I remember reading somewhere that they were.

Still awaiting comments from Tom Mockridge.

Parki79
Rising star
Message 8 of 98
Flag for a moderator

Has this been passed on to Tom yet? I am very interested in the response. 

HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 9 of 98
Flag for a moderator

Well, you will be lucky to get ANY sort of coherent reply from anyone associated with VM..

I have e-mailed Mr Mockeridge several times, over the last 6 months regarding these abysmally poor speeds, and how his company manages to get away with miss selling to it's customers..

I have to date, not even had the courtesy of a reply to ANY of those e-mails...

Mr Mockeridge is not interested in us, only in increasing his salary/pension from our generous contributions each month....FACT!!!!

Parki79
Rising star
Message 10 of 98
Flag for a moderator

It is actually bizarre that nobody from management can make some kind of statement as to why these problems have gone on for so long for so many people.

Mr Mockridge we want to know why this has happened for so long and how you are doing to address this in the future. Are you motivated to sort out these existing areas? Are they ever going to be resolved?

We really all need to push for suitable answers as they can only fob people off for so long. Nothing encourages seems to happen. Forum Team - Can you forward this on to Management, I would like to see a reply. Should keep this going lads untill we get some kind of answers.