Menu
Sammyjo20
Joining in
Message 1 of 75
Flag for a moderator

Terrible speeds at peak times in Gosport

Hi Guys,

I'm getting really sick with this now. We don't have much money but pay for 100mb/s. In the evenings when I mainly use the internet for gaming, watching movies and streaming games I bearly get 20mb/s, even when there's no one else on the internet. 

I did a test the other day during the morning around 10am and I got my full 100mb/s download speed but I just did a test now after having to quit out of a game. I barely got 15mb/s.

You keep saying it's "Utilization" problems which is understandable, but you keep telling me that it's going to get fixed but it doesn't, and keep extending the fixing times.

We may just have to leave you guys if it's not sorted...

- Sam

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 75
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible speeds at peak times in Gosport

Hi Sam,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

Sorry to read that you are having issues with your broadband speeds during peak hours.

Looking at your connection, I can see the high peak time traffic fault in your area that you mentioned. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003817285 and with a review date of 21st December.

With these faults, they have review dates which can be subject to change due to the work that is required. I will pass this across to one of my colleagues who will be in touch shortly with more information.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Pete7
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 75
Flag for a moderator

We are in PO122BD and have 15-17 mbps.  We used to live in St Georges Bks in the Town Center and had 70-80mbps with BT so it can be done locally.  I don't believe VM have there own cables from the green BT boxes in the street to Cosham the main area and one of the UK hubs to connect to the rest of the world, it is probably piggy backed on the on BT lines.  Why is it so slow?

Marv95
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 75
Flag for a moderator

Im at PO122QA and my broadband is unuseable at the moment!!! I pay for 100mb and im currently getting 20mb and 0.

Im going to look at leaving tomorrow after i speak to Support. I don't understand why they havent sent letters out telling their current customers what they are doing before works start. 

0 Kudos
Pete7
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 75
Flag for a moderator

Well I have just applied for and got SuperFibre 70, yippie.  Oh it hasn't made the slightest bit of difference :-(

Pete

0 Kudos
Pete7
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 75
Flag for a moderator

Marv, I seem to remember I had a winge to VM a year ago at being billed for 100mbps and getting under 20 mbps so told them to drop the speed to 50 and charge me less.  Can't remember the diffference but it was a couple of quid a month saved since they can't supply high speed broadband.  Seems only BT can do that in Gosport.

Pete7
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 75
Flag for a moderator

So having signed up for Superfast 70 and been disappointed with no increase I had a winge to VM.  Finally got passed through to the technical help.  Didn't think this was going anywhere but he said "I can see there is congestion on the line, so I will switch you to a different server".  He said the switch should take about 10 - 15 minutes and then inprove.  I didn't believe a word he said so expected to have to ring back again.  Anyway after 20 minutes I ran a speedcheck again and this was the result and its repeatable.  So will check again over the next week, but its looking pretty good compared to the 17-20 mbps we were getting. 

VM in GosportVM in Gosport

0 Kudos
Pete7
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 75
Flag for a moderator

Well that didn't last long, we are back to 24mbps.  Alsono answer to my question above from the Mods to see if any VM staff actually read these forums and action anything their customers say on here.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 75
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pete7, 

Thanks for posting about your issues with slow broadband speeds during peak times, I apologise for any inconvenience.

I have run some tests from this side and I noticed that your area cable seems to be suffering some load issues, especially during the peak times. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in order to combat this.

The upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during the peak hours, the reference number for this is F004759381 and is currently scheduled to be reviewed around the end of February.

Thanks for your patience regarding this, one of my colleagues will be in touch with more information.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Pete7
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 75
Flag for a moderator

Okay folks, we have a review date of 22 Feb 17, after which I look forward to action by VM and us receiving superfast broadband you could only dream of.  Afterall we are paying for this service.  Out of interest a speed test at 5pm gave me 26mbps.  That compares with 70-80 mbps with BT in Gosport town centre at our previous house.

Pete

0 Kudos