Menu
Jim-2005
Joining in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Terrible speeds WF2

After having pretty terrible speeds on the 20mb broadband package and contacting customer support about it around the end of October last year. I was informed that it's a over utilisation problem in my area and that it wouldn't be fixed until around March this year. At this point I was struggling to receive even 2mbps so waiting around 5 months wasn't really a great option. I asked if upgrading to the 100mb package would sort my problems and was told that the line for the 100mb package here was fine and I wouldn't have a problem after that.

So I upgraded my package to this 100mb what I'm on now at the start of November last year and for maybe a month it was acceptable. Now during normal daytime/evening hours I average 10mbps down I would say, sometimes quite alot worse and do sometimes end up with very high pings compared to what you would expect. Between say 1am and 7am I can get the full 100mbps that I would expect but that's not the point. What is the point of paying for *upto* 100mbps broadband when 99% of the time it's used I don't get 10% of that.

I'm truly getting sick of this.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible speeds WF2

Hi Jim-2005,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear about the ongoing speed problems.

I've managed to locate your account to run some tests. I can see there's a high demand for the service in your area. This is still under investigation with reference F002657887. The review date has been pushed back to 28th October 2015.

Rest assured the networks team are trying to come up with the best possible resolution for this issue. In the meantime, I'll add your details to the fault. If you require any progress updates please feel free to bump this thread closer to the date.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Jim-2005
Joining in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich,

Just bumping this thread to see if there's any updates as we are now in October and the speeds I'm receiving are getting worse, not better. I'm mainly wanting an update as I have received a letter from Virgin stating that the price I'm paying for my broadband is set to increase, but not to worry because we're also getting a speed boost. I've checked when I'm supposed to be getting this speed boost from "upto 100mbps" to "upto 152mbps" and it says the end of November.

Based on my current experience of waiting close to a year for Virgin to fix the issues in my area, I don't hold out much hope on this happening within the next two months. I've seen no work going on in my area to suggest Virgin are laying new cables to solve this problem.

So please, any information on when the work is scheduled to be started/completed would be helpful as I'm nearing the end of my contract and at the moment I don't see a reason to continue it.

Kind regards,

Jim.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jim, 

Thanks for posting here for an update.

I've had a look at the ticket, reference number F002657887 and is currently set for a review on 28/10/15, for any further updates or anything else in relation to this ticket just post back here closer to the date and we'll gladly take another look for you.

I look forward to hearing from you, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ronniej
Joining in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I live in the WF2 Area and i certainly hope that this will be rectified by 28 October 2015 as opposed to just reviewed.  This has been going on since April 2013 and has been pushed back and pushed back since then (so many times i cannot remember how many times i have contacted them).

Like the OP i was originally on 20mbs and was down to 0.5mbs on a weekend and it was abysmal.  After many lengthy emails to the team I was advised to upgrade to 50mbs which was ok for a while (getting around 10-15 which was ok but not what i was paying for)  over time this again dropped again to around 0.5mbs again so back onto the team and again advised that the overutilisation still had not been fixed and the only chance to get some sort of bandwith was to upgrade AGAIN to 152Mbs.  

Like the OP this was ok for a month but now at most times i get 5mbs which is not acceptable.  I have been receiving 12.50 refund per month due to this issues.  Whilst its nice to have some sort of refund I should not have to upgrade to the highest they have to get any kind of usable internet service.

i am (after refund) still paying the same as 50mbs but only receiving about 5mbs.

This really needs to be fixed soon and not just reviewed.  We need to get MP and Ofcom involved we are really being fleeced.

And to make matters worse VM are now 'offering' free upgrades from October to people to 300mbs.  I just wish that they would sort out the issues in the system, repair the infrastructure and stop offering more...

0 Kudos
Speedie
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Are you saying that the wf2 (Wakefield, Wrenthorpe area) has high utilisation?
If so, looks like I'm going to have a rocky ride when they do my installation this weekend.

It's a shame, because I did ask the question about the utilisation and they mentioned nothing whatsoever
0 Kudos
Speedie
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Support,

With regards to the outstanding incident case, is the 28th of October a review date or a fix?

Need to understand what the current situation is before I cancel my installation at the weekend. I'm not chasing faults with another ISP!
0 Kudos
Steve_M
Dialled in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Speedie - Support will reply eventually but having been on this forum regularly for months I can tell you that a review date is nothing more than that.  In most cases the review date passes and a new one is set in perhaps three months time.  Where I am we have had a succession of review dates.

0 Kudos
Speedie
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Bump
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Speedie

Welcome to the community

From checking your account, there is a high peak time fault in your area. However the fault ticket is different from Jim-2005 as your on a different cable. The reference number is F003525733 and with a review date of 18th November. As these are review dates they are subject to change I'm afraid. If nearer the time when the engineers assess the issue to see if the performance and bandwidth have improved, they will either close as resolved or continue with additional work.

Apologies for the inconvenience

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos